Eleven

“I invited Lee Young for dinner,” mom said when I found her in the kitchen.

“Why?”

“What do you mean why? Because he’s your friend and mine and because he’s a welcomed guest in this house, not to forget because I want to,”

“I’m going to take a shower,”

“What the fuck is up your ass today?”

“Nothing and don’t fucking ask me that,”

“Joseph Albert Michaels, who the fuck do you think you are talking to me like that and using that tone on me?”

“I’m sorry, I’m just tired. I’ll go to bed. I won’t be joining you for dinner,”

“That’s not an excuse to talk to me or anyone else like that. I do apologize for framing my question like that. However-

“I’m really sorry ma,” I said giving her a kiss on her forehead, “I just need some time alone, please,”

“Okay, I’ll save you a plate if you get hungry later,”

“Thank you,” I gave her another forehead kiss before I went upstairs.

I was irritable but why? What got my panties up in a bunch? Or as my mom had asked, what was up my ass?

Was it the conversation I’d heard with Matt and the others? He had said that he wasn’t the only one who thought I was gay. Who else thought I was gay and what had they said about it? Was my mom’s name in their lips for the wrong reasons again? Had they told my grandparents?

No, I had to stay away from Lee before things escalated but how could I when we worked in the same office almost every day?

I had some leave days I had yet to claim from the previous year and since there were three of us in the office, my absence wouldn’t be greatly felt. I sent an email to HR telling that I would be taking a week off my previously unclaimed days with immediate effect. 

With that part done, I tried to sleep but my thoughts were everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I heard the doorbell ring and I also heard mom and Lee talking before they went to the kitchen and I couldn’t hear anything from there. I put on my earphones and tried to tame the voices in my head, a trick I learnt from my mom. If the music was loud enough, the voices would die down and only after they were silently calm would it be conducive to think rationally.

Staying at home didn’t mean I wasn’t going to see Lee. He had become mom’s regular dinner guest which I still found unbelievable. I had to create some distance between us for a number of days just to get my thoughts in order. I booked a flight to one of the coastal provinces before I made reservations.

“Your trip is so impromptu, are you sure you are okay baby boy?” mom asked as she drove me to the airport.

“I’m good mom, I just need a few days to get my mind right. You saw how I snapped at you last night,”

“Do you have a place to stay? Should I check if…”

“Ma, it’s okay, I already have everything taken care of,”

“Which hotel are you going to be staying in? Send me their details. Are you sure you’ll get a room?”

“I confirmed it earlier today and it’s low season so it won’t be too crowded. Don’t worry, I’ll be okay,” I got a call from Lee before I put my phone in my pocket.

“I hope you aren’t trying to run away from your problems because you’ll find them waiting when you get back,”

“I’m not running. Before I forget, my phone will be off for the better part of my trip in case I get calls from work but I’ll call you every evening,”