Nineteen

“Hi, am I speaking to Joseph Michaels?” the lady on the line asked.

“Yes, speaking,”

“This is Leila Ali, your mom gave me your number in case I couldn’t reach her,”

“Hi Mrs. Ali, how can I help you?”

“Is your mom around? because I can’t get through to her,”

“She went to the beach with the kids but I’ll let her know that you were looking for her,”

“Thank you, I’ll appreciate that and tell her to call me back as soon as she can,”

“I’ll do that,” I said before she hang up.

“What was that all about?” Lee asked.

“Mrs. Ali, looking for mom,”

“Is she like her best friend or something?”

“No, my mom’s best friend’s Aunt Fatima. They’ve been friends since primary school,”

“I don’t believe I’ve met her,”

“She rarely comes over these days but when she does, it’s always like she never left. You also don’t want to be around when she’s around,”

“Why?”

“When the two are together, it’s a recipe for annoyance. They influence each other into being the most annoying thing you could ever encounter,”

“How were they able to stay friends that long?”

“Because they are both weird introverts that would rather work on their friendship than make new friends,”

“Speaking of your mom, you know we have to show her our gratitude for what she’s done for us. Don’t pretend you haven’t noticed it,” he said pulling me in for a hug.

“I have noticed and we’ll think of something,” I said getting lost in his kiss.

Mom had booked two different deluxe rooms as opposed to the suite that had two bedrooms and a lounge. She had designated one room to Lee and I and the other she shared with the kids.

“As a boy, Junior should sleep in the same room as dad and Aju-c,” Liza had insisted.

“I refuse to let my grandson have sleepless nights because of your dad’s loud snoring,” mom said.

“Dad doesn’t snore,” Liza objected.

“Have you ever slept in the same room as him? Why do you think my room is so far away from his? His snores could keep anyone awake all night,”

“Then Aju-c should sleep with us too,” JJ said. He’d gotten fond of Lee.

“Why do you think I put them in one room together?” mom asked.

“Because they are both boys,” he said.

“Yes and because they both snore so loudly. Let them keep each other awake with their snoring,” mom convinced them.

None of us snored. It was mom’s way of giving us some privacy.

The second day on our vacation and it felt like Lee and I were on a honeymoon because mom spent more time with the kids.

“Dad, we’re going to the beach after lunch, you can join us,” Liza said. Liza was a princess in her own right. She always made it seem like being in her presence was a huge honor while JJ was not only shy but humble too. “You are spending all your time with Aji-c and not with us,”