Seven

“Thank you for dropping me off again. I guess I should start paying for the car rides,”

“It’s not a problem since your place is on my way home and besides my mom would have my head if she heard I left you behind,”

“Your mom’s different, but in a good way. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone like her. I really like her,” my expression changed and he noticed, “no, not in that way, don’t get me wrong,”

“Does she know that? Because you two have been getting along a little too well,”

“She knows it better than anyone else,”

“I just don’t want any misunderstandings between any of us,”

“You don’t have to worry about that,” we both went quiet and he reached for the door handle but stopped and turned to me. “Uhm…I’m not going to do much tonight, would you like to come up for a drink?”

I wanted to decline, I really did but the memo didn’t get sent out to my mouth on time because I said;
“Sure, why not,”

He showed me the basement parking before we went up. His apartment was just as it had been the previous Friday. If I hadn’t seen him in it I’d have assumed no one lived in it.

“Welcome to my humble aboard,” he said leading the way in.

“Thank you,” I said taking off my trench coat.

“What would you like to drink?”

“Depends on what you have to offer,”

“I have beer, whiskey, both red and white wine and tequila,”

“I’ll have whiskey,’

“Would you like a chaser with that?”

“Coke if you have any, no, I mean the soft drink coca cola,”

“Be right back,” he smiled before disappearing behind a door not far from the living room.  He came back with a bottle of whiskey, two glasses and four beers. He set them down on the table infront of me and came out with six cans of energy drink, a bucket of ice and a bottle of coca cola.

“Help yourself to whatever,” he said sitting down on the other side of the couch.

“Thanks,” He switched on the telly and there was an ongoing match. It wasn’t my team but it was football.

“Which team do you support?”

“I’m a Liverpool fan,”

“Why the fuck would you support such a team?”

“Which one do you support?”

“Red Devils all the way,”

“Word of caution, keep that information about yourself from my mom, otherwise she’ll stop being nice to you,”

“I’m sure I’ll be the exception to that. Your mom likes me. I’m her eldest son at this point,”

“The audacity,” I said faking a gasp, “You’ve known her for what? Four maybe five months now? You still have a long way to go,”

“If you don’t believe me we could always ask her,”

“Of course she’ll agree with you,”

“Then that settles it, I’m your adopted big brother,”

“No, I refuse to acknowledge that,” he laughed and so did I. It was clear the alcohol was already working. “God, you have a beautiful smile,” I said out loud. It took me a couple of seconds to register what I had just said and I instantly covered my mouth.