19

Lief and Ravana start hanging around on Saturdays like they don't have anything else to do. Probably they don't have friends. I'm pretty sure that on Sunday they just stay home together and do... whatever it is they do.

Lief is, as Ravana said, more approachable once you know him. His severity doesn't seem scary anymore, just a defense. He's an incredibly colorful and intelligent person. Also it's nice to have someone I can easily out-drink. Eventually he brings some mushrooms he's grown, though, and one ups me there by far.

Ravana comes more often. He hangs out in the shop maybe twice a week without Lief, helping out and sitting beside me behind the counter. I think he gets lonely.

"Is that why you're here?" I ask out loud.

"Mm... I have a cat," he says, like that's an answer. He's reading a book on tarot that Ezzy recommended.

"I'm surprised you get lonely."

"I used to just watch Lief when I was alone. But it annoys him now, since we live in the same house and see each other more often."

"You're kind of a creep sometimes."

Ravana shrugs, flipping the page in his book.

"How are things with your sleep apprentice?"

"A little better. He still likes Lief but we've stopped bringing it up. It helps that whenever he's jealous I get mean."

"He can't help it."

"Just like you can't?"

I laugh. "That's only a little crush, not a big deal."

"Half the time I can't tell if you're pining over me or Lief."

"Maybe both? Oh, well. I don't really care."

"You're interesting."

"In a bad way?"

"I really couldn't say."

I start focusing back on the rest of the shop, ignoring my thoughts and focusing on easier things. Trying not to think of how ridiculously attractive this couple is. I don't want to be a homewrecker in any capacity.

"Don't worry, you wouldn't be able to wreck us. We have a future. It's been foreseen."

"Is that why you're so confident he's going to be in love with you?"

Ravana smiles. "All signs are pointing that way. Esmeralda said our auras like each other. And he keeps accidentally calling me sweet names."

"So it wouldn't do any harm if--"

"I'm not doing anything without Lief's permission, and he seems very jealous whenever we even brush shoulders. So no."

"I respect that. But under different circumstances, would you want to?"

Ravana tilts his head. "That's a tricky question, one way your pining gets worse, the other way you're bummed out."

"Just tell me whatever's true."

He sighs. His eyes are lidded and tired as he surveys me.

"Yes."

I am deeply annoyed at circumstance. But it's only a little crush, so hopefully it will fade. Or maybe I just need to seduce Lief first.

"Arden," he warns.

"Right, I'll let you two figure your weird relationship out first. Wouldn't want to make a mess of things."

"Good," Ravana says resolutely, "because if you fuck things up then I have to plan revenge and revenge plans take too much effort."

"Oooh what would you do?"