23

The letter is sitting on my lap. I was waiting for Ravana to come by. Which, I've only been waiting about two hours. I touch my fingers to the thick, blood red wax seal. I've never seen a wax seal in person before.

I decide to drive to Ravana. I get in the car, already speeding. I really don't like suspense. One of the traits I have the least of is patience.

I knock on the door, shifting from foot to foot. I'm excited to open the little envelope.

Ravana comes to the door in nothing more than pajama pants, his eyes lidded from sleep. He looks down at me and tilts his head to the left.

"Well, hello dear. What's up?"

"Lief left a letter for us, let me in."

I don't wait for him to move, ducking under his arm on the doorframe and diving onto the couch. He laughs a bit and shuts the door.

"Can I open it? I've never seen a wax seal before."

Ravana gestures for it. I give it to him. He looks at the seal, squinting, then hands it back and nods, sending the thought that he had to be certain that was Lief's seal.

I grin, and carve the seal open with my nail, pulling out a small piece of parchment. I clear my throat and read.

"I, Lief Smith, declare that you two can do whatever you want while I'm gone. You know what I mean, no crimes but I don't expect celibacy..."

I pause a second, looking at Ravana for any reaction. He only gestures at me to finish.

"This extends beyond the period I'm gone. Just be transparent and tell me anything important. But don't go too far and if--" I snort, "That part's just a threat for me. Also, I'm supposed to tell you Lief and I kissed earlier to say goodbye. He told me to though I doubt you think it matters."

Ravana smiles. "He's setting an example of the transparency he expects."

I nod. "Cool. I think that's a fair rule."

"Mhm. I'm going back to bed. You can join if you want but we're not doing anything, I just need to rest a while."

"Ah, I should probably go to the shop. But thank you," I say, flicking him.

He nods and ambles off back to the bedroom.

-

I have a nightmare that night. There's a horrible sob above me, and a stabbing pain in my abdomen. Around me is fighting, and shouting. I feel warm arms holding me close and gasping cries in my ear. The pain fades, slowly. Everything fades, slowly.

When I wake up my hands are on my abdomen where the pain fades. I sit up quickly, pulling off my shirt and binder to stare at where it hurts. There's no wound.

I breathe a pained sigh of relief. My chest aches, though more likely from passing out with the binder on than the nightmare. I guess that means I can't wear it today. Which I don't really mind--I'm not very bothered by my chest these days, it's just that my prettier shirts fit better with a flat chest.

I go through the closet to find something that fits, settling on a crop top with a devil on it. Then I go out to open shop, even though it's very early. I know I can't go back to sleep after that.

Rachel comes first. She doesn't ask how long I was open before she got here. Ravana teleports into the shop an hour later, and hands me a brown paper bag.

Within is a sandwich. I snort.

"What's this for?"

He shrugs. "You never eat lunch. It's lunch."