20

Getting my magic license is going to take a while, as it's by appointment and the only open slot I could find when I went to their offices was a month from now. Despite myself, I'm a little excited. I already know qualifying won't be hard for me, but it isn't often I get to test my skills.

Ravana isn't as excited as I am. "What if they figure out your documents are forged?" he worries.

I lean against him. "They won't, I'm sure. Rachel seems really good at what she does."

"I'll kill Arden if you get in trouble."

"Sure you will," I grumble.

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing! You just seem very well enamored with them, is all."

"I think you have us switched around. They're the one enamored with me. Which doesn't really matter, since they are with you, too."

"Yeah, but it's mutual with you."

Ravana snorts. "We're just friends, Lief."

"That doesn't mean you don't like them."

"Do you want us to be enemies?"

"I just want you yo not look at each other like you're about to go to another room and have sex."

"God's sake, Lief, we don't!"

"You do, too!"

"Why does it even matter? It's not like you and I are dating or anything."

I pull away from him, getting off the bed and standing.

"You're right. I'm going to the forge."

"It's Sunday!"

"I don't care."

I hurry away. Ravana doesn't follow. Palmer isn't at the forge, but I know where the key is and he said I'm welcome in whenever, so I let myself in. I sit down on the floor and take deep breaths. The heat makes it a little harder, but I like the smell of the smoke.

The forge is always alive with fire, cast by one of the official mages.

I realize that I'm not just breathing heavy from running to the forge. I touch my fingers to my face, feeling tears on my cheeks. It's not often that I cry. Why am I so upset over this?

Ravana is right. It's not like we're that committed. We just have sex. But it feels like it extends beyond that now. He holds me when I sleep, we kiss for no reason other than wanting each other close. What does all of this mean?

I lay down on the floor. Why does it have to mean anything? He likes Arden, anyway.

"Not like I do you," he says in my head.

He's standing outside the door of the forge. I'm not sure if I want to let him in, but I step closer to the door almost on accident.

"I don't want to be alone," I say through the thick wood.

"I told you, Lief. I'm not going anywhere."

I unlock the door and let him in. He stands a distance away. My thoughts race as I try to figure out the right words.

"I'm sorry," he says before I can speak, "I shouldn't have said that, I knew how you were feeling and I knew it would hurt and that's why I said it and I didn't realize until after you left that I don't actually want to hurt you."

I sigh. "It's okay. I've been ignoring your feelings this whole time, it's only fair for you to do the same."

"No, I don't want to hurt you again."