35

It feels exactly like the dream. The dark of the sky, the trees blocked by Lief's head, the light haired mage... And God, the pain.

I feel the pain of every movement as Lief wipes hair out of my face. His arms around me are warm as I feel my blood pouring onto his legs.

"Just stay still. I can heal it. I can heal it."

But his hands are too shaky, and he's too afraid. He can't clear his head enough for magic to work.

"Lief," I mutter, "Tell me it missed Jamie."

He looks down at the wound, and sobs. "I don't know, love, I don't know. And you can't deliver a baby if..."

He calls out for Ravana. He knows he can't heal me, but Ravana...

I look to the side and see Azarius, waiting, watching in the undergrowth. Lief won't notice.

Things are fading. Colors blur as I turn back to Lief. I want to tell him Azarius is here. But do I want my last words to include my murderers name?

I think of all the times we've murmured the words to each other, only ever when they're impossible to hear. He's so afraid of it, of love, and I am too. But still, it deserves to be given voice.

"I love you," I try to say in Lief's arms, "both of you."

But I'm not sure if the words get past my lips as it all. fades. dark.