31

"Ravana's pissed," Arden tells me.

They invaded my tent just moments prior.

"I'm pissed," I say back.

"To be fair, your transgression was more recent," they say, tracing the pink scar on my chest.

I close my eyes. It's hard not to imagine the dagger on my skin, my own steel turned against me.

"But he didn't even have a reason. I was in bed right beside him. And it's not like he even got the brunt of Aza's insanity."

"Tell me what he did?" they ask, setting their palm flat on my stomach.

I sigh. "He kept taunting me with Ravana. And then with my blade..."

I shiver. I went there to kill him and I was certain he was going to do me in instead. It was a clear warning-- try me, I'll stab you with a grin.

"Was it terrible?"

I hesitate. "No. Scared me, though. He knew what I was planning as soon as I kissed him back."

"So he initiated?"

"Yeah. And to be fair, he had me pinned. It was like he knew everything about me. And he can't even read minds."

"Oh, so of course you had to let him fuck you."

I groan. "I thought you were being sympathetic, Arden? I've been sliced open!"

"And?"

I pull them down to lay with me, turning on my side to look in their eyes.

"Will Ravana ever forgive me?"

"Promise him a pet bunny or something."

"Shut up. You're ridiculous."

"I know. I'm sure he'll be alright. I think he's off getting revenge with a soldier? Or he said something like that."

I shrug. "He can get with the whole battalion if he wants. Sex doesn't mean anything."

Arden falls silent.

"That's different. It's... I mean, I like you. You're not just sex for me."

Their face flares. "You like me?"

"Don't bully me."

"No! I like you too."

I smile. "That's good. Do you wanna take a nap with me?"

"Let me call Ravana. Maybe if we fall asleep together like the old days he'll calm down."

I nod. They get Ravana.

He's wiping something from his lips when he comes in, and glares down at me.

"I'm sorry, love," I whisper.

He lays beside me. "Don't let somebody else scar you again."

"I'll fix it up when my energy comes back. You won't have to look at it."

Ravana frowns. "Keep your scar. Let it remind you."

I press a kiss to his lips, ignoring a salty tang as I lay back to sleep.

Arden sighs. "It's so cold here."

They lean in, wrapping cool arms under me. Ravana moves closer, the heat of his body spreading in the small tent. I don't feel as scared with them around me.

I send Ravana the thought that I love him. He smiles with his eyes closed and sends the same back. I only recently realized that's what this swooping feeling is. I worry about saying this to Arden, or even saying it aloud. I'm worried it's not permanent. I need to be certain.