30

I knew Lief and Ravana would come back here, but it surprises me that Ravana never told him about what was happening here. I see them through the scrying mirror, on an outlook with Cooper.

I decide not to mention it to the Council. Even if Cooper is in league with them, I don't want him starving out in the woods or getting executed. Though really, I don't worry about him too much. I keep imagining Lief's scarred hands or Ravana's talons--though either of them would get me killed.

No matter. I retrace Lief's steps in the scrying mirror. He should be right about--

I grip his wrist in my hand. He gasps and becomes visible.

"Why are you in my tower, Lief?"

He pulls away with a slight struggle. It makes me feel strong to think I could overpower him now.

"You know why. I can't let Rubia do this."

"Right. I wouldn't let it spread to your beloved Himnoa, anyway. I'm not that cruel. The Council is wrapped around my finger."

"Is it your finger or your little prick?" he snarls.

I laugh. "Sanaoak, you get spicier across the ocean or what? Come upstairs with me, we can talk where you won't get killed."

He hesitates, then follows me up the ladder. I sit on the bed that used to be his like it's rightfully mine. The chains are gone, replaced by silken sheets and plush pillows. It's comfortable here now.

He sits carefully on the edge. Touching the dagger strapped to his side so he knows it's still here.

"It's been a while! How's Himnoa?"

"Good."

"And Ravana? Perfect, right?"

He draws in a sharp breath. "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you."

"Probably pretty far, you wanna try?"

"Talkative, aren't you."

"Yes, I'm just overjoyed," I drawl, "You're going to fuck up my plan."

"Your plan?"

His hair is braided perfectly over his shoulder, quite long. I reach out to smooth it.

"If I have more of the world in my control I'm safer, right? And I don't have to fight any battles. This could have been you."

My face is close to his, and I can almost feel the heat of his anger.

"It could still be you. Just join me. Bring your hellhound and your horny friend and come rule this place with me."

He seems to consider this idea. "But you're hurting people. I can't harm innocent people like that."

I hum, and tilt my head slightly. "I don't think anyone can really be called innocent. If you can find one person without an awful secret I'll keep them safe for you."

He gasps lightly as my lips find his, surprising me slightly by kissing back. I lean him against the bed. He tries to distract me by pushing his hand into my shirt, talons tracing my skin, but I see his other hand move towards his blade. I press his wrists down to the wood of the edge of the bed, grinning.

"Look at you, trying to stab me in bed. Fucking ruthless."

I feel along his side, unbuckling the harness and setting it aside. He groans as I dig my nails into his wrist.

"You'd be perfect to rule this place. Just consider it, would you?"

I start to pull away, but he grips at my side. "Finish what you started, fascist."