~Chapter 16~

You would like to think my life was finally on track. Atlas Rises finally released and shot straight to number one on the book charts. Pre-production on the movie was in full swing. The twins were growing at a fast rate. Stevie was maturing rapidly. In This Moment was getting ready to release their new album, which Maria titled after the song she penned, Iris. I guess I deserved that after I named my daughter after her. The cover of the album was stunning. It was a singular wild blue colored Iris floating in water.

Chris was on his way home, flying in this evening. Katie had the twins with her, so Stevie and I were at home alone at the moment. Bo had finally backed off on security at my request. That was a fight I had with both Bo and Chris. We had a security system, cameras and everything. They finally caved about a month ago. I didn't like them being there at night after we went to bed.

Bo and Chase were currently with us. I fed them dinner and assured Bo that Chris would be in before midnight. Bo finally agreed to go ahead and go. Stevie and I walked them both to the back door to tell them good night. After locking us in, I told her to go get a shower and get ready for bed. Going back into the kitchen, I poured myself a glass of wine before going into my own bathroom to draw myself a bath.

I put my cellphone on the edge of the tub beside my glass, before I slid down into the hot, bubbly water. It had been a while since I enjoyed a hot bubble bath. I sipped on my wine and enjoyed the peace. I was hoping Stevie had gotten out and was ready for bed by now. Lying in the water, I almost fell asleep in it. Out of nowhere, I heard some clanging in the kitchen. Surely that kid wasn't in the kitchen getting something after we had that huge dinner.

Pulling the plug, I got out and wrapped my silk robe around my naked body. I put my nude earbud in my ear and slid my phone into my pocket as I picked up the glass. I wrapped my hair in a small towel to walk out of the bathroom to go see what she was doing. Finishing the wine, I called out for her but she didn't answer. How odd.

"Stevie, are you in the kitchen?"
Nothing.

Coming out of the small hallway that led into my bedroom, I stepped into the kitchen to see Drea standing there was a knife at my child's throat!

"What the fuck?!"

"Hi Iris."

"What are you doing in my house, you maniac?"

"Ah-ah-ah," she said and smiled at me with a maniacal smile.

"I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to call off your guard dogs."

"You let her go and we will talk," I said and put my glass on the counter.

"Do you think I'm stupid? She is your pride and joy. This is my leverage, bitch."

"How did you get in here, Drea?"
"Through the garage when your guard dogs left."

"So you've been in my garage all evening?"
"Yeah. I know where all your cameras are, bitch."

"You sure about that?"

"Yes."

"Stevie, baby, you okay?"
"Yes ma'am, I'm good," she said as she relaxed inside Drea's arm, like Bo and Chase taught her to do.

I nonchalantly walked around the island in the kitchen. She did what I thought she would do as she thought I was going to make my way towards them. She moved around to where the stools were. That's what I wanted her to do.

"Don't think about doing anything, stupid, Iris, or I'll gut your daughter like a fish."

The buttons for the speaker system were located underneath the edge of the sink as one of the speakers was right there. Bo and Chris had rewired it to actually call them silently as well as broadcast whoever was speaking over the speakers outside. I leaned against the counter, looking at Drea intently and pushed the buttons.