Chapter Forty

Holly

Tuesday May 18th 2021.

Holly pulled her gaze from the pictures on the wall. Kyle was doing the talking. The polished black floors dulled beige walls. Chairs were tucked in a corner by the front desk. The framed pictures of former patients who passed through the seven-month program were the only thing Holly could look at. Especially the pictures of Scarlett and Lucas with the same lean man in a lab coat.

"Who is he?" Holly heard herself ask. She jabbed a finger at one of the pictures.

"Dr. Bradley, our most sought-after clinical psychiatrist." The woman behind the computer said helpfully. A printer rustled. She held out a pale hand in it a piece of paper. "These are our work hours and the activities you would benefit from if you join our program."

"Psychiatrist meaning, he was medicating his clients?" Holly walked up to the front desk.

Kyle took the paper from her.

The air was crisp and the room smelled like honeysuckle.

The other woman whose nametag read Nadine nodded. She was more outspoken than her colleague. "That's what it says on his job description."

"Do you know if he prescribed any medication for a specific client?"

"Which client?" Nadine asked at the same time her colleague said;

"We're not allowed to disclose information on former clients."

"You see I'm contemplating seeking the services of this institution, but I need to know what it is I am getting into?"

Nadine glanced over her shoulder.

Her colleague said. "Everything you need to know is on that flier. We're open six days a week and you can reach us through the contact information at the bottom of the page." She rose to her feet. "I'm not going to be late because of you, Nadine." She declared gathering her files in one hand.

They vanished down a narrow hall.

Holly's shoulders fell.

Kyle sat on one of the chairs in the waiting area.

"How can she be happy here? Working for someone who makes her keep secrets? A girl is dead and Dr. Bradley or whoever she's hiding from doesn't give a shit about helping this girl's family find closure."

"That case was closed long ago for a reason." Kyle said sourly.

"Why does everyone keep saying that? What was the reason? Because she was an addict? Because she needed to be checked into rehab? Or because she tried to kill herself?"

Hurried footsteps. "Can I see that flier?" Nadine said tersely, her eyes swiveling around the room.

Kyle handed it to her over her desk. She rummaged for something and scribbled on the back.

"Nadine?" The colleague.

"Coming," She returned the flier, and as soon as she reappeared, she was gone.

Kyle led Holly to the parking lot.

The warm afternoon air rushed after Holly. Tires screeching, a horn blared. She leaned against his SUV. "What was that about?"

He handed her the flier.

On the back she scribbled;

10:15 P.M.