Chapter Forty Three

Scarlett

Sunday May 17th 2018

She was exhausted. It was hard to believe the three-hundred-and-sixty degree turn her life had taken.

She huffed glaring at the automated doors that parted as a sea of clearly drunk teens flocked in and vanished between the isles.

She was once the envy of her class. The valedictorian, the head cheerleader. And now, she worked at a gas station with a Dad in prison and a Mom she hardly ever saw anymore.

Sometimes she wondered if it was worth it? If one day all her efforts would pay off and she would forget the pain of high school, her father's mistake, and her mother's abandonment. Or if this was all a big sign that this was it and she would be working in a gas station for the rest of her life barely able to move out of her parents' house despite how much effort she put in.

A man walked up to the register. She didn't notice at first because she was too busy stalking Cynthia's latest Instagram post and for the first time resenting the girl for having what she didn't. Cynthia was on the cheerleading team and she would probably make captain before the next game on Friday. The girl had good grades. Better than Scarlett. Then again, everyone was better than Scarlett now. 

"That'll be $4.50." Scarlett said ringing up his plate of frozen dinner. It was fish and chips. Not a favorite. There was a reason the gas station had tons. Also, no one shopped at a gas station grocery store. Not unless they really needed it.

"I only have $4," He said.

She froze.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Not him.

Anyone but him.

Did he follow her? He couldn't. It was almost 9:30 at night.

Which meant Nathan was randomly buying a single plate of frozen dinner for himself.

She didn't know him well enough to know where he did his grocery shopping. Or what he had for dinner. Or if he cooked.

Every night she spent at his place, they didn't do much eating, much of anything. She always got there at night and they were usually occupied till morning when they had school or rehab.

"That kind of night, huh?" She took the money from him, popped open the register, and handed him his receipt.

"The itinerary is packed." He shrugged.

She didn't know what to feel about his sarcasm.

"Got room for a dinner partner?" She bagged his plate.

"I don't have enough for another plate." He made a show of pulling out his empty pockets.

She knew money was tough with the board debating his alleged misconduct. They were withholding his paycheck until further notice. Punishing him for caring about her in a way no one else did.

"It's on the house." She said and watched him run to the frozen dinner aisle and grab another plate. She wrung up the plate and bagged it. "I get off in ten minutes."

He looked at her like he didn't want to leave. Like he wasn't holding up the line of bored drunk teenagers. Like he wanted to say more.

She watched him vanish out the automated doors wishing that he wasn't the only person she had on her side.

Monday May 18th 2018.

She was late.

Shit.