Chapter 21- Alone And On The Streets

Derek and Andrea pooled their money and were able to take the bus downtown. There was a homeless shelter for teens under 18 on Apple Street right off of Canal Street. The two got on the bus holding hands.
They walk to the shelter on Apple Street and knocked on the door. A nun came to the door in full habit.
"yes" the nun said in a quiet tone
" my gf and i just got kicked out by our parents and we have no where else to go"
The nun look at them and smiled, sympathetically.
" we have 1 private room, come on in"
The nun gestured them and to the shelter down the hallway to room seven she opened the door to find a small bed, dresser and closet.
" how how many days will you be needing the room"
" untill we can find permanent housing"
" thats ok, you can stay here as long as you me too"
Derek and Andrea set their bags on the floor and sat down on the bed as a nun close the door leaving him alone. Derek and Andrea looked at each other pensively unsure of what to say next they were alone on their own what was the next step they weren't sure.
" well here we are" Andrea began
" yea here we are"
They sat down on either side of the bed nervously and began to take off their clothes till Derek was wearing only his white Fruit of the Loom briefs and Andrea was wearing a long t-shirt and her panties. That night they slept together but it was an uneasy sleep there were so many questions now and they weren't sure what the answers were yet. They were on their own but they had to figure out how they were going to live where they were going to live and Derek had to find a job and make some money so he could support his child and his girlfriend.
The next morning Derek woke up early it was only 6:15 a.m. but he couldn't sleep anymore. Derek quietly got out of bed and took a shower and got dressed. He quietly walk down the wooden stairs it was early in the morning it smelled of stale cigarettes an derek could hear voices in the background cursing and swearing and could also hear bed squeaking madly. Finally he made it to the street and open the door. The fresh air rushed into his lungs as he walk down the sidewalk.
He walks down the sidewalk to a greasy spoon Diner on the corner of 7th and 11th Avenue and sat down on the counter. The diner was sparsely attended at this hour of the morning and Derek was happy about that because he have some time just think.
" what the hell am i going to do" he thought to himself his mind racing he was just coming to the realization that he was on the streets alone with his pregnant girlfriend staying in temporary housing but he desperately had to find a job but since he was under age it would have to be something that paid cash and it be no paper trail.
" hey" a voice said from two seats down at the diner. Derek looked over and there was a young boy with long shaggy brown hair and sad deep brown eyes.
" hey" was all derek could muster at that moment I went back to his coffee sipping it slowly enjoying every moment of his first cup of coffee.
The anonymous voice slid over next to Derek annoying him greatly. All he wanted to do with be left alone right now to figure things out.
" i never seen u here before" he said between puffs on his cigarette
" i'm dean"
"derek" he finally said shaking his hand politely
" are you new in the neighbourhood" dean asked
" yea our parents kicked me in my pregnant girlfriend out of our houses and now we're staying at the shelter downtown until we can figure things out"
Dean shook his head in suprise and shock.
" jesus christ man i'm sorry"
" thanks"
"listen I know a guy could give you a job"
" who is he?"
" we just call him boss"
" ok," derek said slowly
" the job pays well and its a great place to work"
Derek knooded his head slowly if with a bit of trepidation, he had no idea what this job was hell he never even met this person until now but he was desperate he needed a job really bad for his pregnant girlfriend.
" come with me now"
" now?"
" suit yourself" he said scoffing