Nine: Orphea, the Flash in the Pan

"Morning," Eurydice says, "Don't look at me! Just in case our time has already started."

"It hasn't, kid," Persephone says, "I tried to convince Hades to just let you go but-"

"Thank you," Eurydice said squeezing Persephone's hands.

"Orphea," Persephone says turning to the Poet, "I want you to remember something. The meanest dog you'll ever meet isn't the hound dog in the street. That dog bares some teeth and tears some skin, but brother, that's the worst of him. The dog you really got to dread is the one that howls inside your head. It's him who's howling drives men mad and a mind to its undoing."

"Thank you," Orphea says, "thank you so much."

"You ready to go?" Clotho asks.

"Yes ma'am," Orphea says turning away from Eurydice.

"You all packed?" Lachesis asks Eurydice.

Eurydice nods but doesn't say anything.

"Alright, let's go," Atropos says.

The three sisters get into their Nash Touring and start it up. "How long is the walk?" Lachesis asks Orphea.

"It took me a little over a week."

"You walked that long for me?" Eurydice whispers.

The five start their journey and Persephone turns to Hades.

"You think they'll make it?" She asks grabbing his hand.

Hades shrugs. "I don't know"

Persephone smiles and whispers, "Hades, you let them go."

Hades smiles back at her and rubs her hand. "I let them try"

"And how about you and I?" Persephone asks, "Are we gonna try again?"

Hades realizes that Persephone is nearing forty. Hades never asked her if she wanted children but it's almost too late now. All they have left is each other, if they do save their marriage they'll do it for themself. The way Hades can extend an olive branch is by letting Persephone go.

"It's time for spring. We'll try again next fall," Hades promises.

"Wait for me?"

"I will."

Eurydice stares at Orphea's back with determination. Like she can keep her from turning around with her mind.

Eurydice isn't much of a singer, but she whispers herself a song. "I'm coming wait for me. I hear the walls repeating. The falling of our feet and it sounds like drumming. And we are not alone. I hear the rocks and stones. Echoing our song. I'm coming."

The gas from the Moirai's car fills Eurydice's lungs. She coughs softly and Orphea stops.

"Hey, you okay?" Eurydice asks.

Orphea nods, "I thought- never mind."

Orphea started walking again and doubt comes into her mind. Orphea feels the wind is changing. She feels how cold it's blowing. She can only ask herself four questions; "Where is she? Where is she now? Where does Orphea think she's going?" The worst thing she can think is; "Who is she to think that Eurydice would follow her into the cold and dark again?"

Orphea feels a hand grab her and she listens to Eurydice. "Orphea, are you listening? I'm right here. And I will be to the end. You know that the coldest night of the coldest year comes right before the spring."

Orphea doesn't know if she could've made it up or not. Eurydice could be gone, and Orphea's mind could be playing tricks on her. What if she fell into a viper pit? What if she screamed and the car drowned out her sound. What if she never left. What if Hades tricked Orphea? Who is she? Who is Orphea of all people against him? Why would he let her win? Why would he let Eurydice go?

Every breath Orphea takes, she doubts even more. Is this a trap that's being laid? Is this a trick that's being played on Orphea? She used to see the way the world could be but right now all Orphea can see is the way the world is right now. Orphea feels hot tears build up in her eyes. Where is she? Where is she now? Orphea doesn't know, that's the problem. She can't look back at Eurydice, but if she could would she even be there?

Eurydice can practically smell Orphea's fear, so she begs like she's never begged before. "Orphea, listen to me. You are not alone. I am right behind you, and I have been all along. Please Orphea, the darkest hour of the darkest night comes right before the-"

Orphea turns around.

And there she is.

The car stops.

Eurydice's tears boil over and she sobs. She falls into Orphea's arms, and Orphea cries too. Because she failed.

"It's you," Orphea laughs, her doubts seem so silly to her now. It's a bitter laugh.

"It's me," Eurydice says holding Orphea's hand, "Orphea, I love you."

"I love you too, Eurydice," Orphea says. Eurydice gets back into the car and they turn around. When Orphea makes it to the nearest town she realizes, she didn't even make it halfway.

Eurydice came back, and Hades was disappointed. Disappointed in Orphea, the flash in the pan. But he also knows that the only one who can undo his mistakes is him.

He dials up the number of the Moirari's home "Clotho, I need your help. I want to shut Hadestown down."