Chapter 1

Akshara

"Mumma, I'm fine...stop worrying about me! How's papa now? And what about Ayaan? Did you tell him about my conversation with the teacher at his institute?"

"Beta, stop worrying so much, your papa is doing better... but... he's just worried about you...and yes, I've spoken to Ayaan but all of us think that he should drop out this year... and maybe try again next-"

"Mumma, no! I told you I'm not going to let him sacrifice a year. It's just my first week in Mumbai, I'll surely get a job soon... And before the due date, I'll pay his fee. Just tell him to put all of his focus on his course" Akshara smiles.

"Beta, I'm worried about you... you're all alone in that big city..."

"Mumma, I told you about my roommate right? Tara is great, she's taken me to all the nearby places and we've become good friends... Don't worry, I'm doing okay...

Oh, mumma, I'm getting another call, I'll speak to you later, take care, I love you"

She cuts the call and switches it to the other call

"Hello?"

"Hello, am I speaking to Miss Akshara Goenka?"

"Uhh, yes, who's this?"

"Akshara, I'm Chandni, I'm calling from Birla Group of Industries"

"Oh hi, yes, thankyou. Is this in reference to the marketing executive role that I had applied for?" Akshara's hopes rise as she speaks.

"Uhh, marketing? Um, I guess there was some confusion and mix-up from the HR department.

I actually called for a different role, I'm sorry, we'll get in touch with you if there's an opening for the marketing role. Thanks for your time. Bye-"

"Ma'am, sorry to interrupt you but could you please let me know about the job position you mentioned earlier?"
Akshara tries to control the tears that are on the verge of flowing down her cheeks.

Ever since her father's health deteriorated, her family's financial condition has taken a huge hit and she desperately needs a job...

"Uh, it's actually a secretarial position for the CEO's office"

"Secretary? For the CEO?" Akshara muses. "Ma'am, can I get an interview for the same, please it's a request" she pleads.

"Sorry Akshara but-"

"I really need this job ma'am and I promise I have the capability to clear that interview" she adds hopefully.

"Alright then, I'll mail you the details. Your interview is scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am."

"Thankyou so much" Akshara takes a sigh of relief and cuts the call...

This is not something that I plan to do in the long run but...
Working for the CEO would fetch me a decent salary, right?
Decent enough to pay for Ayaan's course...
That way, he'll be able to fulfill his dream of becoming a graphic designer!
I think it's worth a shot...
After all, what's the harm?

xx

"Ugghhh, goddamn it" Akshara screams in frustration as another cab passes by...

"God, please no!" She looks at her watch which reads 9:40 am.

I can't believe this is happening to me!!
I got up on time, everything was set but then this stupid Mumbai monsoon had to step in!! I hate rains.

And what's with this city? No cabs, no autos when you need them!

10 mins later, after 3 cancellations, she was finally able to book a cab.