Chapter 29 - Swagger

"Permission to come aboard, captains?"

The Revenge and the Osprey had been sailing together for roughly a day. As they got closer to land, the Osprey had signaled a request to stop.

"Granted," called Stede across the expanse of water between the two ships to Captain Robert Greaves. "We'll send the..."

Without giving Stede time to finish, Greaves grabbed hold of a rope and deftly, suavely, swung across and landed with a thud on the Revenge's deck.

The crew on deck applauded softly.

"Thank you," said Greaves, as he gave the tiniest little bow.

Ed glanced towards Stede, who had put on his favourite blue suit and had done his hair up just so. Ed had come to realize that this was the man's battle dress as much as his leathers.

Stede was frowning a disapproving, sour frown at Greaves. It was similar to, but not identical to, the looks he'd given Declan. He was also standing just ahead of Ed. "What can we do for you, Captain Greaves?" he asked tightly.

Ed had opted not to dress as Blackbeard. Instead, he wore simple linen trousers and a white shirt. The sides of his hair were pulled off his face, and it had much neater waves than usual thanks to Stede braiding it while it was wet. The only part of his usual outfit he wore was the black cravat that used to belong to Stede that was looped around his neck.

"I almost didn't recognize you, Edward," said Greaves as he strode forward, past Stede. "You do realize that might make others forget who you are, but not me."

Stede slinked forward and stepped in front of Greaves, his shoulders squaring. He was puffing himself up like a showy peacock. "You didn't answer my question, sir.".

Greaves looked at Stede, then back to Ed, then returned his attention to Stede. "I have a proposal. A way to prove that Edward has indeed changed his ways." He paced across the deck, examining the ropes, the mast, and the condition of the sails.

Ed knew he was trying to find fault with the condition of the ship. Greaves was meticulous to a fault and often tore a strip out of his men for small lapses in procedure or a slightly untidy deck. He knew, as he watched the other man, that he was cataloging a long list of faults on Revenge's deck. Greaves kicked at a rope coil and made a soft harrumphing sound.

Ed could tell Stede was getting more annoyed with Greaves with each passing moment. "And what is that?"

"There are seven men, capable sailors, who are currently in British custody. They are being transported to Barbados where they will be forced to sign an act of grace. My navigator-slash-scribe is among them. He knows where every cache and safe harbor for the entire region. I fear that he will be pressured into revealing our secrets. And then it's only a matter of time before more of us are captured. This is also..." he strode past Stede, despite the man's attempts to block the way, "...an opportunity to re-cement your reputation so you're free to sail unmolested. I understand there's rumors spreading that you've gone soft."

Ed frowned deeply and glanced around the crew. Since Greaves had been captured, that bit of knowledge had to have come from their crew. He scanned the present crewmembers. Roach was very obviously avoiding his gaze and examining his sandals with intensity.

Greaves stopped in front of Ed and Ed met his gaze. Although the two men had been allies, they had never truly gotten along. They were too alike, both too concerned with reputation. But Greaves wanted to be loved and respected, while Ed knew that a pirate needed to be feared. "Do you have it in you, Blackbeard?" he drawled.