Try me

No one could find the blue blur. This wasn't uncommon, but the team was certainly worried about the fact that he wasn't at any of his known spots. His bed, the mountain top, and the waterfall hidden in the woods. Of course, he could easily run across the world without much issue, but something was different this time.

After a huge battle between the team and Robotnik, Sonic was very quiet. Tails hadn't seen this since they were kids, and no one else on team Sonic had ever heard the hero go without talking for more than a couple minutes. This silence lasted for a week before he disappeared.

Sonic sighed, dangling his feet of the edge of a cliff. The water beat against the rocks beneath him. He hated the water, but something about this spot calmed him down. He didn't come here often, but the spot was far enough away that his friends would have a hard time finding him, and yet close enough for him to get to his enemies.

A long time ago he realized what he would have to be to the world. He needs to be a hero the world can look up to. He needs to be a rock. He needs a fucking drink.

His ears flicked behind him as he heard someone approach. Only one being could get to him this fast.

"Shadow."

The dark hedgehog scoffed, "What?"

"What're you doing here?" He turned to look at the other. He curled one of his legs up to his chest.

Shadow said nothing as he came and sat beside the blue hero, also dangling his feet over the edge. Sonic turned back around to look out at the water.

"What does it matter? Where the hell have you been?"

"I've been he-"

Shadow cut him off, "This whole week you've been ignoring everyone and now you run off?" His glare is piercing. There's a bite to his words. Sonic couldn't quite place what the emotion was in the other's voice.

"How'd you know that?" He tilted his head to the side, honestly very curious. He didn't regularly talk to the one beside him. They met up for races and sparring matches every once and a while, and they fought against each other a couple times.

Shadow waited before he answered. He did that a lot. He always chose his words carefully before speaking, always kept that same cool exterior. That is until you pissed him off. Sonic never wanted to see that again. He nervously glanced down at Shadow's rings, making sure they were still on.

Shadow either didn't notice or didn't care that he was looking. "Your red friend was complaining about it to Rouge and I had to hear it."

Sonic set his chin on his knee, looking out at the water again.

They say in silence for a while, neither knowing really what to say or do.

"You know Shads.."

Shadow glared at him, a mix of anger and confusion on his face, "Don't you dare nickname me like that."

"Hush. You think you're all big and bad, but in reality you're no better than the rest of us. You're not a threat, I know you'd never kill me, so just.. please dude, drop the act." His voice lacked the usual joking tone it normally had.

"It's not an act."

"Sure thing, and I don't act like everything is peachy when I want to jump off this damn cliff."

The cuss seemed to throw Shadow off guard a bit. Sonic never cussed, he said it was part of being a good role model. And he also said that he just naturally didn't think of them.

Lies.

"Sonic?" His name. Not hedgehog, not faker, no nicknames. Now it was his turn to be thrown off a little.