chapter 18: killing.

<Y/n's Pov>

New York Institute, Upper East side Manhattan

Wednesday, 07:39 p.m

I was sitting on Isabelle's bed, a blanket around my shoulders and a mug of lemon and honey in my hands. My hair hung wet on my shoulders from the shower I had, all in an attempt to get every single drien but of blood off of me.

"How are you feeling?" Alfie asked, he was sitting in a small chair by the bedside, he rested his elbows on his knees leaning forward.

"I just- I can't stop seeing it. The blood I mean." I answered and he hung his head down, "Does it ever get easier? The err- killing I mean, being a shadowhunter." I asked, my voice a little uneasy.

"Oh sure it does, I mean it's like any skill. You get used to it over time." Isabelle answered, walking from her bathroom into her messy bedroom. As soon as we had gotten back to the Institute, Jace had brought me to Isabelle, telling her to 'look after me'

I insisted I didn't need looking after and he just shook his head and looked at Isabelle.

"Look after her, please Izzy. I've got to go talk to Hodge." And he turned on his heel and left, stalking down the hallway.

I sipped the warm sweet liquid.

"It just..." I began but broke off, "before, before he died, I- '' My fragmented speech reflecting my ability to construct proper sentences.

"It's okay Y/n you don't have to tell us." Alfie offered, his voice as smooth as milk. As if he were soothing a startled animal.

"He said that my dad's ability to never tae orders and mamma's feisty spirit is what got them killed. After he- when he spoke about them I knew... I- Isabelle I knew I wanted to kill him." I looked up from the swirling content of my mug and Alfie was looking at his feet but Isabelle had stopped whatever she was doing and looked at me.

"I want to fight back." I said, "teach me."

"Woah, are you sure we're not rushing into things here, you just killed someone for the first time. You're still angry, in shock even."

"Of course I'm bloody angry." I snapped, shrugging off the blanket. "The very same lunatic who had my parents is sending his minions after me and I'm not going to just sit here for them to knock on the front door. Afraid that everytime i leave the institute there'll be a high chance someone will throw a bag over my head." I yelled and I looked back to Isabelle and she nodded.

"I agree with Y/n. She's a shadowhunter now, one of us, Alfie. She should learn to fight like one of us too."

"I'm not a mundane if that's what you're worried about, that was for sure when the Iratze didn't kill me." I said, instinctively touching the dark rune on my arm.

"It's just, I don't want you to get hurt."

"That's the whole point of this, I'm tired of getting hurt. For once I want to fight back. I don't want to hide anymore. Please." My eyes darted between the two shadowhunters, Alfie leaned back in the chair and ran his hand through his hair, Izzy stood with her arms folded, a proud smile of approval clear and showing off her white teeth.

"Let's do it."