Chapter 6

Evey heard the screeching before the barrage of bullets. She looked at Anjo to see his eyes were wide. Ford closed the door and held his finger to his lips. Evey held onto her breath as there was a stampede of footsteps. She could see the shadows below the door as the Infected ran by.

Ford ran over to the closet and pulled out a backpack. He handed it to Evey. She unzipped it to see that it was empty.

"Get everything we need," he said.

Evey nodded before she ran over to the closets full of supplies. Her hands shook as she grabbed all of the supplies that she would normally use during a shift. She found the medication cart and filled it with as much as she could. She made sure to grab all of the antibiotics.

Ford was by the door. His gun was up and he was preparing for the Infected to barge in. Anjo was shifting his weight from foot to foot. Evey threw the bag over her shoulders. The shadows underneath the door were gone.

"What are we going to do?" Anjo asked in a whisper.

"Weapons," Ford said. "Everyone's either dead or gone."

"I don't know how to use a gun," Anjo said.

"Neither do I," Evey said.

Ford rolled his eyes.

"I'll need more bullets," he said.

"Wait." Anjo held his hands in front of himself. "We're not leaving the place full of zombies? We're going deeper into it?"

"Exactly," Ford said.

"Where are the weapons?" Evey asked.

"Follow me," Ford said. "Don't make a noise."

Evey nodded. Ford nudged the door open and poked his head outside. The screams turned human and Evey grabbed the strap of the backpack. Her heart sunk in her chest. Josie and Joey were out there. She could not let them die. She couldn't save Lila, so she needed to make sure that those kids didn't die.

Evey placed her hand on Ford's shoulder. He turned to look at her.

"We need to make sure that those little kids are okay," she whispered.

"They're with Johnson," he said.

Ford waved Anjo over. He held his fingers to his lips again before opening the door wide. They stepped outside. Ford led with his gun pointed. Growling was faint as they stepped deeper into the base.

Evey jumped when she heard a loud shriek. An Infected soldier stepped around one of the buildings. He let out another screech and ran forward. Evey bit down on her lip to stop herself from gasping when Ford lowered his gun.

This is it, Evey thought. We're going to die.

Ford stepped forward. He grabbed the knife off of his leg and pulled it out of the sheath. He put his hand on the Infected's shoulder before forcing the blade up under the Infected's chin. Blood and saliva sprayed onto Ford's face. Ford slowly lowered the man's body onto the ground. He wiped the fluids off of his face with the back of his sleeve.

He said nothing as he continued to walk. Evey and Anjo stayed close behind. He walked into one building full of guns and other weapons. Ford grabbed a bag and filled it full of weapons and ammunition. Once it was full, he passed it to Anjo. Anjo grabbed the straps before gritting his teeth.

"It's heavy," Anjo said.

"Suck it up," Ford said. "We need to find a way out of here."

"You don't know how we're getting off the base?" Evey asked.