Chapter 20

Ford did not come out of the bedroom for the rest of the day. He was hiding from Evey to avoid the barrage of questions she would ask. The sun was setting when he came out of the room.

Evey was lying on the couch. Joey was jumping on the cushion at her feet. Josie had Chester's arm as she was reading the book that they took from the first house. The twins had read it countless times and had not seemed to tire from it yet.

Ford did not say a word to any of them as he hurried out the front door. Evey went over to the window and watched Ford rush across the street to Johnson's house. She lingered by the window until she watched him come back to their house.

"Grab the kids," Ford said. "We're heading to the field."

"Joey and Josie." Evey grabbed the twin's attention. "Come with me."

Evey held out her hands and they each took one. They walked over to the front door where Ford was standing. He looked down at Evey's thigh.

"Give me the gun," he said.

"Why?" she asked.

"You're not going to need it again."

Evey finally got a gun yesterday. There was no way that she was going to give it up already.

"If we aren't going to need guns then why not let me keep it?" she asked. Ford opened his mouth to speak, but Evey pulled the twins forward. "Let's go kids."

Ford let out a deep breath and rolled his eyes. Evey brought the kids to the truck and helped them into the back. She fastened the seatbelts across them. Josie had Chester in her hands.

"Where are we going, Evey?" she asked.

"Somewhere safe," Evey said. "Hopefully, it will be a place we can stay for a while."

The front door of the truck opened and Evey watched Ford get into the driver's seat. She looked around to see the other trucks filling with people. Ford revved the engine.

"Get in, Everett," he said.

Evey closed the door before climbing into the passenger's seat. Ford was the first one to pull out of a driveway. The rest of the trucks followed close behind as Ford made his way to the field.

The thought of a Cure had been on Evey's mind all day. If there had been a Cure, her family would have not had to die. Lila could have survived and lived the future that she always wanted.

Ford drove up over the curb when they got to the field. The rest of the trucks followed them. Ford parked at the edge of the field. He let out a deep breath as he pulled the key out of the ignition. He looked at the twins in the backseat before looking at Evey. She had been smiling since they left the house.

"Why are you so happy?" he asked.

"Because we won't be on the run anymore," she said. "We'll be safe and I will finally be able to breathe."

"Give me your gun."

Evey's smile dropped. Her fingers grazed along the weapon strapped to her thigh.

"I'm not giving it back to you," she said.

"If we're no longer on the run then you are not going to need it," he said.

Evey bit down on her lip. She could keep the kids safe in the city. There would be enough people there that Ford would not even think about hurting Josie or Joey. Until then, she needed the gun.

"I'll give it to you in Toronto," she said.

Ford scowled before storming out of the truck and slamming the door. She watched as he walked up to the soldiers who had already gotten out of their trucks.