Chapter 36

Evey could not sleep. Her chest ached as she could not get her mind off of Josie. She insisted that Fiona go back to Johnson's house and sleep. Fiona reluctantly agreed.

Evey thought about going back up to the bedroom. Ford was on watch, and he would soon be coming back inside. She was sure that he would get into the bed next to her. Tears pricked at the back of Evey's eyes when she thought about having sex with Ford. If they had stayed in the living room, or if one of them was sleeping on the couch, they would have seen Josie leave the house. They were being selfish and irresponsible.

Evey grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders. She laid on the couch. The single flame was flickering in the candle. She stared at the stairs, which she could barely see in the dark, and was too afraid to blink.

Would Joey try to leave the house? Would he try to go and look for his sister? She could not let him die either.

The front door creaked as it opened. Evey forced herself to close her eyes as Ford walked inside. She did not want to talk to him about what had happened. She did not want him to try and convince her to go upstairs to the bedroom. Would she have the restraint to not cry into Ford's chest all night? She rarely cried before the world ended. She hated it.

She listened as Ford's boots walked across the floor. He stopped walking for a moment, and Evey held her breath.

Just go upstairs, Evey thought. Please, don't talk to me.

Ford sighed before he walked away and up the stairs. Evey opened her eyes when she heard the bedroom door click shut.

A knot was in her stomach as she watched the stairs for Joey.

--

When Ford came down the stairs, Evey was emptying peaches into a bowl in the kitchen. She stared at the canned fruit, not wanting to look at him. He touched her waist. His hand slid around her stomach and pulled her close. She jumped, and her heart pounded. She spun around and pushed him away. He stepped forward, but Evey stopped him. She kept her hand on his chest to force distance between them. He furrowed his brows as he looked down at her hand.

"What?" he asked.

"We fucked up last night," she said.

"No." Ford shook his head. "We fucked last night."

"We shouldn't have."

Ford grabbed her hand. He stepped forward, and Evey backed until she hit the counter. She moved to push Ford away, but he snatched her other wrist. He trapped her against the kitchen counter with their hands between them. Evey held her breath as she looked into Ford's eyes. His face, as always, was stuck in a stern expression.

"You're only saying that because of Josie," he said.

"A little girl died because we weren't paying attention," she said. "If we stopped for that stupid bear, none of this would happen."

"We couldn't stop for that toy."

Evey lowered her head as she stared down at the floor. Ford squeezed her wrists.

"Look at me," he said.

She let out a deep breath and returned to making eye contact.

"We'll keep Joey safe," he said. "That's all we can do."

"I was supposed to keep Josie alive, too," she said.

"Don't. You can't do that to yourself."

Evey bit down on her lip and nodded. Ford let go of Evey's wrists. He leaned forward, putting his hands on the counter. His forehead was pressed against Evey's. His warm breath fanned her face. She closed her eyes and placed her hands against his chest. She curled her fingers into his shirt and pulled him close instead of pushing him away. His fingers grazed her chin and tilted her head. His lips brushed against hers, and she tightened her grip on his shirt. She pulled him closer to deepen the kiss.