Chapter 49

TWO WEEKS LATER

Ford had his arm around Evey's waist as she walked down the hallway. Evey held onto the banister running along the wall to support herself. Amaya and another nurse had removed the staples from her back a few days ago. The pain had dulled, but she struggled to move her arm without gritting her teeth. She did not want to stay in bed all day. Wanting to improve, she pushed herself to do physiotherapy exercises and walk around the hallways. Ford stayed by her side every moment of the day.

"Good to see you up and moving again," Amaya said.

"She should rest," Ford said.

"Good thinking," Amaya said sarcastically. "That way, she can develop a blood clot."

Evey giggled, but Ford scowled. He had been bickering with Amaya for the past two weeks. Evey found it entertaining, and she was shocked that Amaya had not kicked him out of the wing of the hospital. She was glad he could stay because she loved having him by her side.

"How's your pain, Evey?" Amaya asked.

"It is bearable," she said. "It's getting better."

"You're a fighter. I suggest you fight your boyfriend more often."

Evey's jaw dropped when she heard those words.

Her boyfriend?

The world was ending, so they never bothered to label their relationship. Was Ford her boyfriend? She looked at him to see a small smile creep across his lips. Ford had been smiling more often since they had come to the hospital. Evey loved to see it. Was he feeling more relieved now too?

"What?" Amaya asked as she looked at their expressions. "Haven't you been together for a long time?"

"No," Evey said. "We met once Thyestean spread."

"How did you two meet?"

Evey bit down on her lip. There was an ache in her chest as she thought about her family. The bang of the soldier's guns and the sight of the blood was a haunting memory. Would it ever get any better?

"Doesn't matter," Ford snapped.

Amaya rolled her eyes and held her hands up in defense. Evey touched Ford's arm to feel his muscles tense. Did the memory also haunt him? Did he carry around a heavy amount of guilt?

"We were part of a group looking for safety," Evey said.

"There are more coming," Amaya said. "Ross found another group of Immune people."

"How many?"

Amaya shrugged. "Who knows how many will make it? Every soul saved is a miracle."

Evey sighed and shook her head. Too many innocent lives have been taken because of Thyestean. How many more would be lost?

"Somehow, you survived," Ford told Amaya.

She stuck her tongue out at him.

"Be happy you have been blessed with my presence," she said.

Ford opened his mouth, but Evey punched him in the shoulder to silence him. He rubbed his arm as he looked down at her. She shook her head.

"Behave," Evey said. "I don't want you banned. You're my only visitor."

"Do you want to leave the wing?" Amaya asked.

"I can?"

"I don't see why couldn't. You will probably be discharged from the medical wing in a few days. This would be a good chance to see if you are ready."

Ford tightened his hold on Evey.

"She is not ready," he said.

"If you get off the medical wing, that will give me a break from Ford," Amaya said. "I encourage it."

"Let's go," Evey said.

She held onto Ford after she let go of the banister. They shuffled forward, and Ford muttered a curse. They came up to the large double doors. Across from the nursing station, large windows were looking onto the street. Evey peered outside to see the Infected wandering the street below. Bodies of Infected were littering the streets. The window in her hospital room overlooked the small garden behind the hospital. She had not seen an Infected in weeks.

"Have any of them gotten in?" Evey asked.

"No," Ford said. "We've been patrolling the doors."

Evey raised a brow. "We?"

"I have been looking after you. I will join patrol once you're better."

Evey looked over her shoulder to see no one else was around. She got up on her toes to kiss Ford's cheek. Letting her lips linger, she placed a hand on his chest.

"Where is Joey?" she asked.

"In the daycare, probably," he said.

"There is a daycare?"

Ford nodded. Evey never thought that there could be multiple children inside the hospital. How many people were inside the building? Since becoming conscious, she had only seen Ford, Amaya, two other nurses, and one doctor.

"I want to go," Evey said.

"Fine," Ford said. "But be careful."

"Of what?"

"You're injured."

"Don't worry about me. I'm practically back to normal."

Ford shook his head. "Stubborn as always."

Evey pulled him through the doors, but once she was in the hallway she realized she had no idea where anything was located. Ford chuckled and brought her over to the stairs. Walking down the steps caused a jolt of pain to shoot up Evey's shoulder. She gritted her teeth, not wanting Ford to see she was in pain.

On the pediatrics floor, there was a mural of cartoon animals. There was the laughter of a couple of children, and it brought a smile to Evey's lips. She followed the sound and turned the corner to see a room full of toys. Five kids, including Joey, were running around and playing. Fiona was on her knees beside a sandbox, digging in the sand with a child. She looked up when she heard Evey and Joey enter. Fiona's jaw dropped, and she pushed herself up onto her feet.

"Evey," Fiona said. "It is so good to see you."

Fiona came over, and Evey pulled Ford's hands off her. She wrapped her arm around Fiona, unable to lift her injured shoulder too high. Fiona was careful as she returned the hug. A few tears escaped her eyes and rolled down her cheeks.

"We made it, Evey," she said. "We actually made it."

"How has Joey been?" Evey asked.

"That child is so resilient," she said. "All these children are."

Something tugged on Evey's gown. She pulled back from Fiona and looked down to see Joey staring up at her with a smile. Crouching, she wrapped her good arm around him, and he clung to her gown.

"I missed you, Evey," he said.

"I missed you too, kiddo," she said.

"I want to show you my picture."

Joey let go and ran across the room. He snatched a paper off the table and rushed back over. Holding the construction paper up in the air, Evey saw the marker scribbles with a few stickers. He had a wide smile. He could be a child again. She ruffled his blond hair before he rejoined the rest of the children.

"I'm so happy to see so many children have survived," Evey said.

"Ross warned us a baby will be joining soon," Fiona said. "Another group should be here any day."

"There will be so many of us. I can't wait. This will be the start of a new world."