Chapter 23

Evey woke to a weight across her stomach. She was curled on her side. She rubbed her eyes in an effort to wake up.

Deep rhythmic breathing was coming from behind her. She looked down to see Ford's arm across her stomach. He had her curled into his body. Her heart pounded, she threw her elbow back and bolted up. Ford's eyes flew open as he groaned and rolled onto his back.

"You were supposed to sleep on the couch," Evey said.

"Good morning to you too," Ford mumbled.

Evey rolled her eyes before getting off the bed. Giggles were coming from the room across the hall. Evey went to the room to see the twins jumping on the bed. Josie climbed down and ran over to Evey with Chester in her hands.

"What's for breakfast, Evey?" Josie asked.

Evey bit down on her lip. What would be for breakfast? Without power, there was not a lot to cook.

"We'll find something," Evey said. "Let's go down to the kitchen."

The twins followed Evey out of the room. She caught a glimpse of Ford sitting on the foot of bed. He was staring out the window and running his hand over his head.

The kids sat at the table as Evey went through the cupboards. She grabbed a box of cereal and poured it into two bowls. Joey crinkled his nose as he looked down.

"We need milk," he said.

"No milk today," Evey said. "The fridge isn't working."

Joey pouted but did not complain. Ford walked into the kitchen, and Evey handed him a bowl of dry cereal. He raised a brow when he looked down into the bowl.

"Bon appetit," she said. "Hopefully, Toronto has better food."

They ate in silence. Ford was the first to finish. He set the bowl in the sink and went out the front door. Evey looked out the window to see the soldiers gathering in the middle of the street. Connar, Roger, Anjo, and Fiona were walking up to them. Evey set her half-eaten bowl down and rushed outside. She did not want to miss anything they would be discussing.

Evey forgot to grab shoes and she walked across the rough asphalt in her socks. She stepped next to Ford.

Her heart fluttered in her chest. Ford was inches away from her, just like last night when they lay in bed. She could easily reach out and grab his hand or arm. She closed her eyes and shook her head. What were these thoughts? She hasn't been like this since a high school crush.

"So what is the plan?" Harrington asked.

"We're driving to Toronto," Johnson said.

"So we're all going to die?" Gomez asked.

Johnson let out a deep breath. Evey chewed on her lip. It was her idea to go to Toronto, if they all died would it be her fault?

"We're going to die if we stay out here," Johnson said. "We have to go."

Gomez glared at Evey.

"This is all your fault," he said.

"How?" Ford snapped. "She didn't create the Virus."

"Yes, but it's her stupid plan to go to the city. You only listen to her because she's spreading her legs for you."

Ford balled up his fists and charged toward Gomez. Harrington and Johnson stepped in front of him to stop him. Ford fought against their grasp to try and get free. Gomez was watching him with a smirk that only enraged Ford more.

Evey's heart was pounding and her mouth had gone dry. Did everyone think that the two of them were having sex? She looked over at Fiona, who was watching the fight in horror with her hands over her mouth.

"I'm going to kill you!" Ford yelled.

"It's not my fault she's a whore," Gomez said.

Ford's face had grown red as he was fuming. Johnson and Harrington were struggling to hold him back.

"Apologize to her," Ford said. "Now!"

"I'm not apologizing for shit," Gomez said. "And I am not going to Toronto either."

"Ford, get a hold of yourself," Johnson commanded. "Calm down."

Ford was panting for breath but stopped fighting to get free and punch Gomez. His hands were trembling. Evey was tempted to reach out and pull him back, but she did not move. Did everyone really think that they were having sex with each other?

"Here's what is going to happen," Johnson said. "Anyone wanting to go to Toronto will come with me. Anyone who doesn't want to go will stay behind with Gomez."

"Me?!" Gomez asked.

"Yes, you." Johnson narrowed his eyes at Gomez. "You want to stay so bad, you'll be in charge of the group that stays behind."

Ford let out a slight chuckle as he watched Gomez's jaw drop. Ford stepped back so that he was no longer in the middle of the circle they had formed on the street. He was beside Evey again.

"No one is going to want to stay behind," Fiona said. "I think everyone wants to get help."

"What about the doctor?" Gomez asked. "He did not look too keen to go."

Everyone looked at Anjo. He chewed on his lip as he looked around at the abandoned houses.

"I don't want to stay here," Anjo said. "This place is a wasteland."

"So you want to help find a cure?" Evey asked.

He hesitated. "Yes."

Gomez shook his head.

"So no one is staying?" he asked.

"Anyone want to stay?" Johnson looked around the group to see that everyone was shaking their head. "It's settled. Gomez, you're here by yourself."

"Fuck that," Gomez said. "I'd rather die trying to get into the city than starve out here by myself."

"Then quit bitching and let's go."

Everyone parted from the group and headed to their house to get the twins. Ford stayed closed beside Evey as she went inside. She walked toward the stairs because she heard the twins giggling in the bedroom. Ford put his hands on Evey's hips. She jumped and moved to turn around. Ford tightened his hold on her and kept her in place. Evey's heart was fluttering as she held onto her breath.

"Don't tell the others we sleep in the same bed," he said.

Evey could not manage to say any words. She was afraid that her voice would crack and did not want to look nervous in front of Ford. She nodded.

"Good," he said. "Let's get the kids."

Ford let go of her waist and stepped past her to go up the stairs. Evey let go of her breath and put her hand on her chest. She watched Ford go into the twins' room. She rushed to see Ford holding Josie and Joey's hands.

Were they going to get hurt on the way to Toronto? Was anyone going to get hurt? Would someone die along the way? There is no way that Evey could forgive herself if people were eaten alive because of her decision.

In order to save their lives, they were going to have to risk death.

Irony sometimes is terrifying.