Chapter 51

ONE YEAR LATER

The rotten smell had finally dissipated from the air. It took months to remove the dead Infected bodies from around the hospital in Toronto, but it was worth it. Breathing fresh air no longer became a luxury.

Last month when cleaning the decaying bodies, the stench became so terrible they wore masks to filter the smell. Evey was nauseous the last time she went outside. The smell did not help her sickness, and she vomited twice while clearing bodies. Ford did not let her out again.

Evey had to spend days in bed. Feeling terrible, she thought she had gotten the flu. Was that even possible in this new world?

She was horrified when she realized she had not had her period in three months. Focusing on rebuilding society made her not pay attention to her body. Afraid to tell anyone, she snuck into the pharmacy on the hospital's main floor. She took the test and nearly threw up again when she saw it was positive.

How could she have a baby? Had Ford and her not been careful enough? She could not believe that she had been so reckless.

Evey and Ford were sitting on the patio on one of the wooden picnic tables. It brought Evey back to a time when she would sit in similar places when she would get lunch breaks. It seemed like a lifetime ago. Leaning back, she closed her eyes and enjoyed the cool night air. Ford was slouched forward with his elbows resting on his knees.

Evey had to fight against the urge to rub her stomach. She had yet to tell Ford because she was unsure of his reaction. Would he be furious? Would he be mad they were stuck with a baby in this new reality? Would he see her and their baby as a burden? Her stomach was beginning to show, so she could not keep it hidden much longer.

"I like sitting out here," Evey said.

"It doesn't smell like shit anymore," Ford said.

Evey chuckled. She opened her eyes to see Ford staring out into the darkness. The only light came from the candle on the table behind them. Casting shadows across Ford's face made him even more difficult to read.

"What do you see our future like?" Evey asked.

"Just trying to survive," Ford said. "Maybe find others."

"You think other people survived?"

He shrugged. "If we made it, others must have too."

Evey bit down on her lip. Her heart was hammering in her chest. Nausea was creeping into her stomach, and she swallowed hard to prevent herself from throwing up. What was he going to say?

"How do you see me and your future?" she asked.

Ford turned his head to look at Evey. He raised a brow.

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"You and I," she said. "What is going to happen between us?"

"Are you breaking up with me?" he asked.

"What?" Evey shook her head. "Of course not. Why would you think that."

"That's how my last girlfriend started her break-up speech."

Evey leaned forward and rested her head on Ford's shoulder. His muscles were tense, and his breath was shaky.

"I'm not breaking up with you," she said. "That's the last thing I want."

"Good," he said.

He placed his hand on her leg and ran his fingers along her thigh. She closed her eyes, enjoying the moment. Staying in this bliss was not possible. She had to tell him. Waiting longer would make him angrier.

"I have something I want to tell you," Evey said.

"Tell me," he said.

Chewing on her lip, she placed her hands flat on her stomach. This moment was going to change their lives.

"Kalen, I'm pregnant," she said.

Ford's hand stopped running along her thigh. He froze, and his body went tense again. Ford was always silent, but not hearing him say anything made her anxious. Panic was bubbling in her chest, and she focused on her breathing. She lifted her head from his shoulder. He was staring out into the darkness, deep in thought.

"I'm sorry," Evey said.

"Sorry?" he asked.

"Yes," she said. "I should have been more careful."

Ford was silent again. A lump was in Evey's throat.

Keep breathing, she told herself. Keep breathing.

"I get to have a family again?" Ford asked.

"Yes." Evey smiled. "We are going to be a family."

Ford wrapped his arm around Evey and pulled her into his body. He kissed her temple, and she melted into his grip. He was not mad. Her biggest nightmare was not going to come true. He would not leave.

"How far along are you?" he asked.

"Around four months," she said.

"Why did you not tell me sooner?"

"I didn't know for a while. I thought I was sick, not pregnant."

Evey shifted her weight on the bench before throwing her leg over Ford. With her hands on her shoulders, she straddled his lap. He grabbed her hips. There was a crease between his brows as he stared at her belly.

"You should be careful," he said.

Evey cupped his face in her hands and smiled.

"I am okay," she said.

"What about the baby?" he asked. "I have two people to worry about now."

"We're all going to be okay."

Ford grabbed Evey's wrists and pulled her hands off his face. He kissed the back of her hand.

"Evey, I just can't believe I will have a family," he said. "It's been so long. How do I even be a Dad?"

"I have no clue how to be a mother," she said. "But that is okay. We are going to figure it out. Besides, this is life in Thyestean. Raising children won't be the same."

Ford sighed. Evey pulled her hand from his grasp and ran her fingers through his hair. It had gotten a lot longer over the past few months.

"We got this," Evey said.

Ford pressed his lips in a line and looked up at Evey. Even a year later, his crystal blue eyes still made her melt. He gave her a soft smile.

"We got this," he said.