04|Bugtastic Battle

"So, Spewpa, do you want to be in a Gym Battle today?"

Valerie kneeled next to her pokemon as Spewpa chirped, pushing his head gently into her hands. The gentle breeze brushed through the city as Valerie stood up, smiling to herself. The joy of battling rushed through her veins, causing her to feel content.

Looking around to find Viola, Valerie saw a Pikachu running around—with a small, yellow Pokémon chasing after it. Both Electric-Type Pokémon gave out small shocks, their happy noises making Spewpa chirp in glee.

Valerie looked at her Zoroark... who transformed herself into a chirpy and excited Yamper. The small dog wagged her tail and jumped onto Valerie's knee.

Valerie put her hand on the "Electric-Type" dog.

"Do you want to play with them, Zoro—I mean, Yamper?"

A tail wag and a "Yamp!" made Valerie chuckle. She nodded with a smile before "Yamper" ran off, getting used to being a small creature.

As Valerie walked over to where a group of people was, along with glancing at a woman her age, who was laughing with her friends, she saw one of them moping around. Valerie quickly saw the yellow-haired girl looking at her shoes.

Valerie perked at the small teenager's voice, remembering it was the same girl who sassed her brother.

"Aww....I have to wait to fight Viola. I spent all morning training for this....but, I spent so long looking for a wife for my brother. I can totally wait!"

Valerie could hear the groaning of one of their friends, probably the brother—if she had to guess, which made her smile slightly.

Her eyes landed on the makeshift battlefield. She saw the white chalk outlining the battlefield—along with sun designs. Valerie loved the simplicity of the area.

In front of the battleground, Valerie noticed the sandy blonde-haired female, Viola, grinning. "Yamper" ran up to Valerie, the green-haired woman smiling as Yamper ran around her legs.

Viola's eyes met Valerie's. She noticed the flare in Valerie's eyes, the determination coming from her....but, Viola also saw Valerie's shakiness.

Valerie noticed sweat coming off her face. Her heart was pounding, and the feeling of her heartbeat rushed through her body. Looking around, Valerie's eyes glanced to see Viola with her Pokémon. Valerie took a deep breath.

She can...no, she will do this right.

Grabbing two Pokéballs, she nodded to herself.

Tatsuya taught me to not give in to my thoughts. I must use that in battle... Change your negative emotions into positive energy.

Viola opened her mouth, her voice carrying across the makeshift battlefield. "The glint in your eyes when I first saw you... You are up for this challenge. Can I ask, is this your first time challenging a Gym?"