Tikki's Departure

Summer was almost gone already. Tikki had spent the entire season with her cousins at the Burrow. They had made plenty of mischief and memories over the several months they spent together. Nearly every day was a barrel of laughs times ten. But now it was the twenty-fifth of August—Ron and Harry would be headed to Hogwarts soon and Tikki had to return to her family.

She had said goodbye to Keenan yesterday. They had gotten close over the summer and swore to write consistently to each other. She liked that he could laugh, but also take things seriously, a department where she had issues. Sometimes, when his hair was gleaming in the sunshine, or he tilted his head to the side with a smile, her heart would jump. It didn't happen often enough for her to confirm that she liked him more than a friend, but when it did happen, she would question herself. Of course, she didn't tell Keenan or her cousins, she would never hear the end of it if she did, but things could get interesting next summer.

The family stood at the train station, ready to see her off. Well, most of them. Uncle Arthur and Percy were both at work. But Aunt Molly, the twins, Ron, Harry, and Ginny were all there. Tikki's luggage had been put into its car already, so they were waiting on the train to be ready to leave before Tikki got on.

"Love you, Aunt Molly, thanks for letting me stay for the summer," said Tikki, beginning her goodbyes. She gave her aunt a hug.

"Of course, my dear, thank you for keeping the boys occupied. We'll see you next summer." Molly squeezed her.

Tikki gave Ginny a hug next. "Bye, Ginny. I'll see you next summer."

"Bye, Tikki. Thanks for coming this year," Ginny said.

Ron was waiting for her hug next. "See you around, Tikki."

"Better believe it, Ronchers," she laughed, then looked at Harry. "Goodbye, Harry, it was nice to meet you."

"Bye, Tikki," he said. "It was great spending the summer with you."

Lastly, there was the boys, who were looking a bit down. Her spirits immediately fell as she thought about leaving them. "Bye, Fred. Bye, George." She gave them separate hugs. "You promised to write—don't forget!"

"As long as you don't," they said with a smile. She hugged them both tightly around their necks. They stood together as they waited for the train to be ready to go, shoulder to shoulder, with their arms around each other. Tikki leaned her head against Fred's shoulder, smiling gently at George.

"Another summer over," she murmured.

"Another one to add to our collection," said Fred.

"We've broken our record of summers spent together in a row," added George.

Tikki rolled her eyes. "You say that every year."

"It's tradition," they told her.

The train whistled. "That's my cue," said Tikki. She hugged the twins again, tightly. "Bye."

"Bye, Tikki," they said, returning the hug.

She turned around and hopped on the train. She set her bag down, sliding it under her seat, then leaned towards the window. She spied her family watching for her as well. As she looked at them, her incredible family, she felt tears prick her eyes. She loved them more than anything, and she knew they loved her back. She was going to miss them. She knew from previous experience that she would be pining for her cousins for the next three seasons the same way she pined for her siblings while she was at the Burrow in the summer.

The whole family looked disheartened as she looked out the window, but when they spotted her, smiles blossomed on their faces, and they waved boisterously.

"Love you," she mouthed to herself as the train pulled out of the station. Fred and George ran to the edge of the platform, but it ended too soon, and they were left behind. Tikki sat back in her seat, taking a deep breath. She thought about how she wouldn't see them for months, the only communication she had with them was by letter. She thought about how boring life would be at home without the twins. But then she thought everything they had done that summer—all the pranks, all the games, all the laughter. She had finally learned to ride a broom without falling off. The twins tried tiramisu for the first time, and also the last because the sugar and coffee in it got them hypered up.

She was going home to her family; she hadn't seen her siblings or parents in three months. Everyone would be excited to see her, and she them. There would be ice cream and a long night of talking about their summer and comparing who had a better time.

That thought brought a smile to her face. She took another deep breath and sighed with contentment. I'm ready to go home.

Tikki is ready to go home, but I'm not ready to stop asking for votes! Vote for Tikki!