Chapter 8

Chapter 8

She suddenly remembered her older brother, although they had different looks and personalities, though with the same taste that liked sweets.

Was this voice right? The more she tried to remember, the fainter it got.

It had been a while since she met her brother because he abandoned his family. The moment his older brother, who was more proud than anyone that his grandfather was a pivotal player in the revolution, fell in love, he changed.

"I will live for my family."

"Family? The Revolutionary Army is our family."

But, he resisted Sally's suggestion.

"My children will not be raised like my father. My wife, like my father... Ha, damn it..."

"Are you crazy? There was no one better than our father."

The revolutionary army was like a family, and the cause of making the world a better place for all. Eventually, her older brother gave up on all this and succumbed to the ugly reality.

Sally must have been the only one who felt heartbroken when she was pointed out by her comrades, who were once family, for being a coward. She called him once a year to restore his heart on every anniversary of their mother, who died honorably during the operation.

However, her brother said he had no regrets.

[ Rather, I am really happy now. Mother will be proud of you. ]

Were those words sincere? How could he be sincere...?

Moreover, her mother, who had devoted her life to the revolution, could not be proud of her son, who had run away cowardly.

[ You, too, come out of there. Let's live together. Martha is looking forward to living with you. ]

No, that was not going to happen. Like her mother, even if she had to sacrifice her life, she would not run away. She would be the child her mother would be truly proud of.

Creak.

The bed creaked again.

Sally, who had been tossing and turning without being able to sleep, suddenly froze. It was because a man's footsteps echoed outside the door.

'Who...?'

At this time, the purpose of the man who comes to the room where the maid was alone couldn't be pure. To make her run an errand, it was enough to ring the bell by pulling the cords all over the annex.

Sally put her hand under her mattress and picked up the little revolver pistol. As she double-checked that it was loaded, the blunt footsteps stopped in front of the door.

Pushing the magazine back in, an intruder from the night knocked on the door.

"...Who is it?"

She pretended to just be awake and paused for a moment before asking. She felt a little relieved once he knocked on the door. If he had turned the doorknob, it would undeniably impure intentions.

"it's me."

It's me.

She was stunned, and a sigh broke out. She already knew who he was just by the voice. She had no chance to think about the arrogance of assuming that she would know who he was even if he didn't say his name.

Sally turned her gaze to the clock on the side table. It was already past midnight, though what had brought him up here?

"Ah, Captain... Please, wait."