Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Should I have let you shoot?"

Leon put the revolver back into the drawer and closed it. He didn't lock it with a key.

Stealing would be a slightly bigger sin. Besides, disobeying the master might be a felony within the walls of this mansion. Could it be an excuse to break the rules and drag her to the torture chamber...?

Thinking that, he twisted his lips and narrowed his eyes sharply.

Bloodstains that were fading caught his gaze.

Perhaps, it was not the eyes. Maybe... it was just the smell of blood. So, even if she was another woman, would he be so lustful if she smelled of blood...?

That was a hell of a taste.

He smiled bitterly and stood up. The carpet was a mess of shards and ashes from the shattered ashtray. Tomorrow morning the maid would clean up this mess with grumbles towards him.

Leon unrolled a 'message' of encouragement to the maid and dropped it on the carpet.

º º º

The sun shone softly through the wooly clouds. Her dark brown hair fluttered in the wind, gleaming in the shattering sunlight.

It was a perfect day to go out.

April's weather was as unpredictable as the Winston's though, although she didn't know what kind of whimsical it would bring. It was a ten-minute bike ride from the Winston Mansion to Halewood, the nearest town.

Sally parked her bike in front of a three-story brick building past the general store with a large discount sign.

Just when the lunch break was over, she met the post office manager who was turning the "closed" sign hanging on the window to 'open.' A middle-aged man raised his glasses with his index finger and gave her a glance before opening the door right away.

"Good afternoon, Miss Bristol."

"Hello."

Sally stopped as she stepped inside.

The post office in this small town had four employees, including the director, but today, for some reason, there were only three.

"Is it Mister Peter's have a day off?"

"The postal train is late today, so he's at the station."

Peter spent the whole day in the village disguised as a postman, although he always eats lunch here. Because of that, she purposely came on time but apparently not today.

Then, she brought the money she got from Winston yesterday to send to headquarters for military funds. She entrusted the remittance to Peter, and he made it untraceable. For other employees, it was risky to disclose the addressee, even with disguised information.

"If you wait a minute, he'll be there soon, haha."

As Sally gripped the straps of her old bag and sighed, the postmaster grinned as he rubbed his long mustache with his fingertips. The people at the post office thought Sally had a rosy crush on Peter.

...No way.

Even though she behaved modestly because of her duties, her eyes on men were not that simple either.

'Shall we spend some time, then?'

Two buildings from here, she would find Madame Benoa's Cafe. It had been a long time since she wanted to indulge in a little luxury.