Chapter 4: Departure

It was raining. The sky was shrouded with clouds, so dense that not a single sun ray pierces through. Weather broadcast said that it will rain for the whole week because of an oncoming storm from the South. Flights got delayed because of the weather, and countless other cancelled because the destination is right in the storm. Some impatient passengers were shouting at the holographic flight schedule boards and others were arguing with the Inspectors; what a chaotic scene, Auran said.

"Believe me, kid. You will see worse later on" Osiris breath in a long breath of cigar

"I'm sure hope not. By the way" Auran glared at the old soldier sitting next to him, who is now enjoying his favorite cigar. Auran always hate smoker, and this person right here is pissing him off every seconds "Can you stop smoking? I'll have lung cancer at this rate."

"Chill out, son. Give an old man a break, would you? I haven't got a good smoke break for a long time now" Osiris laughed loudly and patted Aura's back. The boy grunted and buried his face in his phone, looking through all 100 messages that Ignis, Mom, Dad and Stella sent to him. The boy smiled as he read past every loving message, every heart warm compliment and every advices that was given by his parents. But most of all, he love to read every message of a certain someone. This boy is no doubt deeply in love with his angel, Ignis even said that he is obsess with Stella and tease him that Stella will have a hard time when they marry. Who could blame him?

It was almost 10pm when the storm began to die down and flights were reschedule; the "chaotic" has finally died down as most of the travelers were either sleep or settle down on the seat, patiently waiting. Osiris has stop smoking and quietly reading the recent newspaper; as a high rank officer, Osiris has very tight schedule 24/7. With the top brass's constant complain and nags, there is little to none free time for the old soldier. War heroes or not, if the government has their hand on you, it's a game over; Director of Recruitment, Advisor, Wartime Propaganda...so on a so forth. It's good for veterans to have jobs after the war, but they benefit only the government and leave these 'heroes' penniless, isolated from their family for the rest of their lonely life. Auran sighed and felt sorry for those nameless souls that perished on the battlefield; they devoted their life for the safety and freedom of the people, yet in return the survivor treats them like crap and society's trash. Such irony of life

The clock strike 12 am when the P.A announced that Auran's flight is ready to launch. He woke Osiris up, and walk to the Stargate. Osiris said that the Academy will provide equipment and clothes so luggage is not necessary; though personal items are allowed except for electronics. The old man said that it will be a distraction and prevent Apprentice- name for new found Esper- from focusing on the lesson. What a load of bullcrap, Auran knew that the school doesn't want their student to call home and cry to mommy. Not that they can help it, imagine taking a kid away from his home, lock him far away and shove a fist full of lectures, assignment and boring classes that has nothing to do with his life down his throat until he choke on it, that kid will either begging to return home or become one of those nut job that read books for breakfast, lunch and dinner; or both for that matter.

Auran stood in front of Stargate, on the screen a line of words marching around the perimeter "Antartica". That's his destination. But why Antartica? It's literally on the very South of the planet; if that doesn't sounds scary then the eternal freezing temperature with whole year long snow storm could make one piss their pant. And don't even talk about the Vaktar, legend say that they're from an ancient specie of flying lizard who escape the Great Extinction millions of years ago and has haunted the place ever since. No one has seen one alive, or they did but can't live long enough to tell the story. All that ever report was that they has the body of a Pterosaurs, speed of a speeding bullet and head of a saber-tooth tiger. Auran shake a bit when he imagine the frightening beast flying overhead and dive down on him with its claw determined to rip his skull from the spinal cord. Osiris looked at the boy in confusion, knock his head and tell him to move forward. The long line behind Auran also started to swear at the young boy.