Chapter 3

⚠️Trigger warning for this chapter; character death and violence. If you don't like these topics please leave.⚠️

———————————

"Dad.. is it really you?"

Cliff pulls away from Sabre and looks at him. "You look so different.. of course it's me."

Sabre pulls him back into a hug. "You're actually here.." Cliff hugs him back.

Light Steve and his guards stand there awkwardly, and confused. "What.. is happening? Sabre, who is this?"

Sabre reluctantly let's go of his father. "This is.. my dad." Light Steve tilts his head. "He raised me?"

"Oh. So he's trustworthy?"

"Of course he is."

Light Steve looks hesitant. "Are the infected able to shapeshift or something?"

"No, I don't recall them doing that. And even if they could I'd be infected by now anyways.." He looks down.

"Right.. well, can we finish this meeting then? If he's trustworthy and you're close to him, maybe he can help us out."

"Not as close as we could have been.." Cliff mumbles.

Ignoring him, Light Steve walks back to the library and walks inside. "It's alright, there is no threat."

"What was the lightning about?" At that moment, Sabre and Cliff walk in. "Oh. Who's this?"

"This is my dad, his name is Cliff. He raised me, mostly." Sabre says, hoping they don't ask questions. With his luck they don't, but his father does.

"Before I can let you continue this meeting.. I need you, Elan, to explain two things to me." Sabre visibly cringes at his real name. "One, why do they call you Sabre?"

"I.. prefer that name at the moment, dad." He says.

"Alright then.. sorry."

Sabre smiles a bit. "It's fine."

"Now for the second question."

Sabre laughs nervously. "Go on.."

"What did Rhonda do to you, and why?"

Sabre freezes. He hadn't expected an easy question but he definitely didn't expect that. "To me.. or all of us?" He turns away from his father.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well.." Sabre looks back at his father. "She told you it wasn't just me, right?"

Cliff shakes his head in disbelief. "Don't tell me.."

"I wasn't alone." He forces a smile. "But I am now.."

"What do you mean you are now?"

Sabre inhales. "Do you want the story?" Cliff nods expectantly. "Okay.. so she sent me, Lucas, and Ryan to.. whatever that world was."

"Wait.. she sent you to a different world?" Cliff tilts his head. "I gathered that this wasn't home, but she didn't send you here?" He asks.

"No.. somewhere else. I had a whole other life. Technically I might be older than you now." He says. Cliff laughs a bit. "Either way, I'm.. well, Lucas and Ryan aren't really with us.. right now." Sabre shifts uncomfortably. "Can we talk about this later..?"

His father nods. "Of course."

Light Steve clears his throat. "Can we finish planning this kidnapping now?"