CHAPTER X

CHAPTER X

"I need to talk to you. Alone."

Victoria's cherry-red lips formed a smarmy grin as she and James entered the bedroom.

"You finally going to tell me what's got you so wound up?" She mocked.

Her moment of self-fulfilled prophecy broke as her mate slammed the door shut behind them.

"This..." He threw his hands up; "I don't even know where to begin, Victoria!"

Shit. He didn't use a nickname.

"I don't know how you could be so stu-"

She leaned forward in a surge of anger; "you do not get to stand there and yell insults at me. I would've left her alone, if you had told me what in the hell is going on!"

James attempted to cut in, only for her to continue; "I can't apologise- I won't apologise- if I don't know what it is that I've done wrong."

"Okay..." He brought his hands up in surrender.

"I get that you're angry and that maybe I owe you an apology."

She scoffed at him, rolling her eyes.

"That girl out there, you know, the one you kidnapped? She's very important."

"Gee. That really cleared up my confusion, captain vague."

"Stop trying to be fucking smart-" Victoria had to pause for a moment as James ran a hand through his hair- he wasn't angry, she realised, he was terrified.

She placed a hand on his arm; "look, I still have no clue what's going on, but it's clearly bothering you. You need to tell me what's happened, properly."

"Do you remember a few weeks ago, when I went missing for a couple of days?" He slowly asked her.

"Yeah... You told me you needed some space which- after having to put up with you for a couple hundred years- I completely understood."

"I- I lied..."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow curiously at him.

"I was called before the Volturi."

Victoria completely froze.

She was... angry? Upset?

A small, sympathetic part of her understood that he had wanted to protect her, physically and emotionally. She had a bad past with the ruling coven, that was for sure. Her mate had been attempting to keep them away from her, which she was mildly grateful for, but something still didn't make sense.

"What did they want?" She questioned, her voice emotionless.

"One of them, I think it might've been Aro, had apparently started having dreams of a girl- they were desperate to find her. And so they asked me for help."

Ordered might've been the better word.

Victoria, like every other supernatural creature, knew what those particular dreams meant. Soulmates were something not to be taken lightly.

As that particular thought flew through her mind, she was jolted with realisation.

"That..." She had long forgotten the feeling of breathlessness, but was sure she was now experiencing something similar.

"That's her." James' worried, scarlet eyes met hers as he nodded.

The finality in his voice was clear; "we need to get out of here."