Chapter 26: Scar

TW: gore

I watch Grian fall in slow motion. The realisation, struggling to fix his elytra, and then hitting the ground with a horrifying crack. Xisuma's at his side in a instant. Mumbo runs over, is given some kind of instruction, and sprints away.

'He's alive.' The confirmation from Xisuma makes my heart jump with relief and I visibly relax. 'But just about. I need someone to grab healing potions.'

I do, crossing the area in seconds and gathering as much healing equipment as I can before returning to Xisuma. Grian's curled up on the ground, elytra sprawled next to him. Blood, contorted limbs and I think I catch sight of a bone sticking out where a bone should not stick out. It's an effort not to vomit, persistent in my worried questioning.

'Mumbo's gone to get some proper medical help... We're lucky I always carry some supplies with me or he wouldn't make it.' Xisuma mutters in reply. 'The only question is, how did he fall?'

'Or was he pushed?' I reply, remembering with horror the sight of Impulse following up.

'If this was on purpose then it all becomes a lot more serious... Oh thank notch, they're here.' Sure enough, Mumbo's returned, accompanied by a few members of staff from the medical ward. I step away to let them work, returning to where Cub's watching.

'They're going to find out.' Is his first comment. 'They're going to find out he has wings.' 

'What- oh no... no... I need to do something. I need to...' I spot Impulse still standing at the top of the flight platform. It's too far away to see properly, but he doesn't seem that surprised or scared. 

'Alright class. Let's just finish the lesson here, so we can get Grian safely to the hospital room. You're now dismissed.'

Though the other students start to walk off with a lot of muttering and concern, I don't, waiting for Impulse to finally fly down. My gaze stays fixed on him as he remove his elytra and runs after the others, just as one of the medical staff, the eldest one I think is called TFC, lets out a yell of surprise.

They've seen Grian's wings. 

'Scar, you coming?' Cub asks. I nod, but run past him, knowing what I have to do.

Inside, it's easy to track Impulse's movement, darting around students. I follow in close pursuit, not caring about everyone watching as I reach him and shove him hard against the wall.

'You're going to pay.' I snarl. His eyes widen as he gets to his feet. A smear of blood comes away as he feels the back of his head. Before he can try anything else, I pin him there, hands around his neck.

He has to die. 

3 seconds until he starts choking. His legs kick. People start to watch. I don't care, the heartbeat rushing in my ears the only thing I hear. There's nothing else in the world except me, Impulse and revenge. He claws for air, hands gripping my arms as he tries to prise my fingers away. He tries to form words. I refuse to move, refuse to anything but stay there, waiting for him to go limp, to stop the real monster before he kills anyone else that I love. 

Around 30 seconds and he's still not dead, coughing, eyes wide with panic, struggling as he realises what I intent to do.

'I gave you a chance to repent and you didn't.' Is the only thing I need to justify myself. 'One life for theirs.'

His tactic doesn't change, all but giving up, growing weaker. A few more seconds and he'll be unconscious. And then-

A sharp tug backwards and I stumble away, desperately failing to reach back as Impulse sinks to the ground, gasping for breath. I twist out of the person's grasp, turning to see Skizz. 

'What the f*** are you doing!?'

'What I should've done a long time ago.' I snarl back.

'You don't understand what he's going through.'

'I think you're the one that doesn't understand. He just tried to kill Grian.'

'Grian fell.'

'Grian was pushed.' I don't blink, keeping eye contract with Skizz until he does. 'By the same person that's been getting my friends killed.'

'Impulse, are you alright.' Deciding against finding a valid excuse, Skizz pushes past me, helping Impulse to his feet. Instinct tells me to leave him alone, maybe even apologise. I do neither, watching.

'I didn't- I didn't want to hurt him. I thought he'd just start flying... and then I wouldn't be forced to tell on him.'

'So you did push him.' I think Skizz is about to join my side. Impulse nods back. 

'Grian has wings. I... realised and... thought it would be easier to make him reveal himself than have another name to tell the Principal.'

'You almost killed him!' I snap back.

'He almost killed himself! He could've actually used his wings.'

'There are some things worse than dying, Impulse.' I curl my hands info fists. 

'Then maybe I should tell on Cub next and see how much it hurts you.' 

I punch Impulse. Full on, in the face, so hard he stumbles back, his face filling, almost trancelike, to pure, mad, anger.

'Or I tell on both of you. Or just let this whole school know. Yell it out in a corridor. Hey, did you know that Cub and Scar are...' he doesn't have time to finish. This time it isn't just anger that fuels me, but the force of magic threatening to burst from my fingers as I try to kill Impulse for the second time. There's a moment of reaction time from Skizz before he starts attempting to wrestle me away. I bite him. Literally bite him, and he falls back, disgusted, Impulse fights back, kicking, clawing for my face, any way to stop his fate. The world falls away again. Any moment now I know I'll blackout and wake up a few minutes later with Impulse's dead body in front of me.

Good. 

Some things are worse than getting caught. 

Blue shoots down my hands, claws at the end, I can tell my eyes have turned the same colour. Wings out my back. My enemy struggles to escape, but soon the diamond blue of vex magic holds him against the wall, hands digging into his neck until blood trickles out. 

'SCAR STOP!' 

I don't have time to return to normal before my vision turns black.