Chapter II: Ring 💍

Irene finally settled for her studies in the UK joining her Ate Imee and Kuya Bong. She will stay here until her 17th birthday.

"Ate? Diba we are 7 hours behind kila Daddy?"

'Daddy o Greggy? Stop it, Irene. If you are thinking of calling him, just stop. Mahiya ka dun sa tao ha. Ang bata bata mo pa, puro ka Greggy! Read your books and do your worksheets in advance.'

"You're so mean! I was just asking. Bonget si Ate oh! Ang sungit."

Her Kuya is closer to her than her Ate, simply because he tolerates her. To her Kuya's eyes, Irene will forever be that baby that he used to rock to sleep. His forever ball of sunshine.

'Why? Do you want to call him?'
"Do you know how? Baka magalit si Ate."
'I do. May call cards ako. Pero ikaw maghuhugas ng mga plato mamaya. Ako naka assigned today eh, save mo ako.. bibigyan kita ng card ko.'
"Deal!"

Now Irene cannot contain her happiness knowing that she'll be able to hear Greggy's voice once again.

It was hard the first time. She's too small to even be able to pick up the handset, let alone dial international number. But as time passed them by, she got used to it. Sneaking outside her school when she knows that Greggy is at home, or sneaking whenever her Ate Imee is busy doing school works. Irene would also save money for call cards.

It's her Ate's last year. She'll go back to the Philippines to continue her studies in UP leaving her and Bonget behind.

She's now 11 and Greggy, well... 23.
She would read news about him doing well in the business, but she would also read from time to time news of him and his current flame. The newest? Isabel.

She's a model and a good friend of his sister. She also came from a very affluent family background, making her a stiff competition for Irene.
She hates her. Rumor of them tying the knot very soon is making Irene angry.

"Hindi naman maganda, like not at all! Diba Bonget?"
'Yeah. Prettier ka.'
"But they're together. Ako ang layo ko. Uwi na kaya tayo, Kuya?"
'Irene.. no. Magagalit si Daddy. Awayin mo na lang si Greggy, bakit ka uuwi, ano ka ba.'

That sounds like a plan. Irene puts on her jacket as it is freezing cold outside. She hates winter! They have their home phone but she cannot use it without her Dad knowing that she's calling Greggy.

"Urgh!! The things I do for love! I hate you Greggy."

Greggy picks up on the third ring.

'Hello?'
"Hello your face! Bakit ang tagal mo sumagot!"
'Uh.. Irene?'
"Who else could it be?"
'It could be anyone.'

To Irene's young mind, how could it be anyone when it's just her who calls him this way? When it's just her who have this voice? She's talking to him since she was five. It's been six years, how could it be just "anyone"?

IRENE's POV:

Anyone? That's it? That's all I am to him? Anyone?If I tell you that it hurts, it would be an understatement. Greggy's been hurting me since I was five with his continuous rejections, but this is different. His voice is different, his tone is different, his mood is different. It is as if he does not want to talk to me at all.

"I am not anyone, Greggy. I am your wi-"
'Stop! Just stop!'
"Ano bang problema mo? Bakit nagagalit ka? Para tumatawag lang naman sayo ahh!"
'Stop calling me, Irene. Stop reaching out.'
"Why? I'm here for two years already! So why? After two years of calling you, you'd asked me to stop just now? Why!"

'Nagagalit na si Isabel, okay? I can't lose her over you. Do you understand that? She's.. she's everything to me right now, and if I am to get married, I wanted it to be her. So please.. if you really and truly love me like you said, please stop all of these. It's ridiculous to think I even allow it to happen in the first place. You are young, so young and -'
"Goodbye, Greggy.".