Chapter VII: Thunder ⛈

June 1984.

Three months after they called it quits, Greggy is still living inside Bahay Pangarap. He can move out, if he wanted to. But he won't.

As for Irene.. She's trying to be as busy as she can be to forget Greggy. She hasn't told her family yet, of the scale of their separation.. and to her relief, they never asked.

It's a day before the Independence Day celebration and everyone in Malacañang is busy. Her siblings are both in Ilocos, and her parents are trying to run down everything for a smooth program tomorrow.
She herself was just as tired because her dad gave her the committee for music and entertainment.

She came home to an empty palace. Her parents will stay in Manila Hotel to avoid additional logistics for their security transfer from the palace to Luneta. She will be traveling alone tomorrow.
Not that it bug her, but it's raining tonight.

Heavy rains with thunder.
And she's alone.

She thought of calling her new found theater friend, Mark.

Just to pass by the time, so she will not feel so alone with all the rain and her greatest fear, thunder.

She called, but he's out.. according to whoever answered her call. She just leave some message for him to call her back.

She's doing the final check for the Filipiniana that she's going to wear tomorrow when the phone in her room rings.

Finally, she sighed.

IRENE's POV:

"Hey, Mark! I called earlier no, kase-"
'Mark? Who is he? It's 8:32, Irene. It's Greggy.'
"Greggy? Ahh.. why are you calling?"
'It's raining. And pretty hard. I wanted to check if you are okay. I know you are afraid of the thunder. So who is Mark?'
"None of your business. May sasabihin ka pa ba? Busy ako ehh. So shiiiit!"

I was about to end the call when this loud thunder came out of nowhere sending me shivers all over my body.

'Hey, hey.. it's fine. It'll pass by, you'll be..'
"Greggy? Can you come over? Samahan mo ako, please?"

GREGGY's POV:

I run as fast as I can upon hearing how scared Irene is. Never minding that it is raining, and that I am getting wet. I went straight to her room, earning me some weird stares from their household staffs.

"Love?"
'Greggy! Here! I can't move, please come here.'

I can't help but smile. She drowned herself from the pillows covering her entire body with the blanket. With her tiny frame, I may not be able to see her had she not speak up.

I sit beside her, putting some pillows away. She's looking at me as I caress her hair.

"You okay?"
'Yeah. Thank you for coming, but..'
"But?"
'You are wet. Soaking wet, Greggy. Bakit ka basa?'
"I run ehh. Kumain ka na ba? I'll cook for you."
'You will? I haven't. Pwede, noodles? With egg?'
"They're not healthy, love."
'Please? Sige na.. Please?'

And once again, I found myself at the mercy of the woman that I only love.

"Two packs, that's it. And we will share. You cannot eat everything."
'Ayaw. Two, but all mine.. please?'

"Ang tigas ng ulo mo. Isa lang, they're really not healthy, Irene."
'Edi wag na lang. Go back na. I don't need you anymore.'

I was about to stand up when another roaring thunder came. With both of her hands now holding my arm, I sit down beside her again.

"You don't need me anymore?"
'No, sorry. Sama na lang ako sayo? Don't leave me Greggy, please?'
"Okay.. stand up na. Go get something, jacket..maybe? Para hindi ka mabasa"