Heat (FabRiam)

HEAT

Have you ever wondered what it's like to not feel heat at all? Not being able to feel the radiating heat coming from the rays of the sun, not being able to feel the warmth of a well-prepared coffee or the touch of your loved ones. Feeling as if you're entrapped in coldness for the rest of your life.

Although it may seem unlikely, Priam Torres—Elysian University student and USC President—can't feel heat at all. It all started when he absentmindedly placed it index finger on the fire and cried in pain, but never because it was hot. Under the ravaging heat of the scorching sun, he would be wrapped and clad in clothes of wool and a scarf. Gloves on each hand and boots in his feet.

His parents consulted the best doctors but none of them can come up with a scientific reasoning as to why this was happening. Moreover, as much as Priam wants to touch and hug other people in the hope of maybe feeling heat, he's a clean freak. How do you think would he be able to probably feel heat in touching others when he's wearing gloves?

Priam finally gave up in hoping that he could feel heat and decided to live life as it is. Life's too short, so live it to the fullest. Besides, nothing would change if he fails to feel heat his entire life. Is it going to kill him? No. Would it be of hindrance to his studies and student council duties? No.

"Priam, you've been staying up all night signing those documents. Are you not even sleepy?" asked Castiel Seville, the USC's Chief-of-Staff and his closest friend.

Priam shook his head. "Not even an ounce. What brings you here? It's late."

"Says the one who, not once, rested. Your workaholic attitude would someday be the cause of your death—don't laugh, I am not kidding." Castiel sat on a spare chair and handed him a cup. "have a coffee."

Priam did not spare him a glance and continued signing. "Have you forgotten that I could not enjoy the heat of a coffee? It's like drinking a cold water but with a bland taste."

Castiel rolled his eyes. "I did not buy this coffee and make you drink it to feel heat. The caffeine of this coffee would help you recharge your energy if you're planning to stay up until midnight."

"Thanks," Priam jested. "just place it on top of my table and rest. You don't need to accompany me."

Castiel stood, his cane supporting him. "Alright then, Mr. President. I'll be taking my leave."

The doorknob clicked and Castiel went out. Priam, on the other hand, continued to sign the documents and finished the coffee Castiel bought him. He did not even realize that it was past midnight now. He decided to go back to the dormitories and continue his duties tomorrow. He still has classes to attend.

Priam wore his sweater and wore a jacket on top of it. He inserted his gloves on both hands and left his office.

— * —

THE BLAZING SUN struck the University campus, burning the skin of the students. They've been complaining on how hot the weather was and wished to go back to their dormitories and take a cold bath. Priam wondered if he would have the same reaction should he feel heat one day. The thought immediately perished when he realized his circumstances. It's impossible.

"Priam, are you not feeling hot under all those clothes?" asked Valeria, the USC Vice President.

Priam shook his head. "It's cold."