Chapter Twenty-Three: Roses

"ATE CASSIDY, I am telling you. Kuya Falco is not here in this house. He left with his things."

"Still, I don't want to go outside of my room."

It is already two o'clock in the afternoon. The birds are chirping and the rustling of the leaves is serene. But Cassidy, on the other hand, is restless.

How can she rest if her bedsheet smelled like her husband? She is scared to fall asleep. Hindi niya na masasamyo ang mabangong amoy ng pabango ni Falco kapag nakatulog siya.

It will trigger nausea. God knows that vomiting on an empty stomach is painful.

She sobbed against the silk sheets. She needed to be strong. Hindi pwedeng nakaratay na lang siya sa kama. Her OB said that she needed regular exercise. Her OB also said to not skip meals.

Sniffling, Cassidy finally opened her door and headed to the kitchen. Hindi puwedeng pabayaan niya ang sarili, lalo na ngayon at may dume-depende na sa kanyang mga kinakain.

She decided to heat last night's clam chowder for lunch.

Frannie also went to the kitchen to wash the dirty dishes. Frannie also monitored Cassidy's appetite from time to time.

Cassidy noticed that Frannie is attentive to her needs ever since the OB instructed her to eat healthily.

"I will eat large quantities of food, Frannie. Don't worry about me."

Natawa na lamang ang dalaga.

"You should, Ate Cassy. Hindi lang ikaw ang kumakain ngayon. There's two of you now."

Cassidy looked down at her belly and smiled. "Of course."

Frannie left a slice of apple pie near the bowl of her clam chowder before heading upstairs. Cassidy devoured the dessert before deciding to walk around her veranda to pass the time.

She walked back and forth and stared at the lone mango tree across her gates. Maganda ang tanawin na iyon. Payapa at tahimik.

Cassidy used to play there with Frannie. Maliit pa ang punong iyon dati at kamuntikan pang maapakan ni Frannie.

Cassandra smiled when she remembered how she took care of the tree. Nilagyan pa niya ito ng munting bakod gamit ang mga sanga na nagkalat sa paligid.

She was happy to back then. She greeted every passer-by with a huge smile on her face. She would often set up a fake tea party there with random police officers whenever they pay a visit to her father, Constantino Altaroel.

Why did she let three disgusting men ruin her life?

Cassidy took a step towards the gates, and another, and another. Before she knew it, her feet are already outside of her gates.

She took a deep breath. "This is fine, Cassidy. Your house is just there. You can run immediately if you can't handle this."

Cassidy streched her hand and her neck as if she is warming up in a marathon. Dahan-dahan siyang naglakad papunta sa puno at umikot doon na parang estatwa.

Her body is alert and focused. Nanatiling mapagmasid ang kanyang mata sa kanyang paligid.

The surveilance drones made her uneasy, again. Cassidy tried to 'shoo' the drones away from her. Lumayo naman ang dalawang drones nang kaunti sa kanya at nanatili lang sa isang pwesto.

"That's right. Stay away from me."

Nagdesisyon siyang maglakad-lakad ulit paikot ng puno ng mangga bago pumasok sa kanyang mansyon. She also asked Frannie to clean the guest room. Susubukan niyang hindi amuyin ang pabango ng asawa na nasa kanyang bedsheets, kahit na nasusuka siya sa umaga tuwing hindi niya naaamoy ang pabangong iyon.