026.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

✧✧✧✧✧

          THE ROOM WAS COVERED IN DUST, PARTS OF CONCRETE AND GLASS SHARDS LITTERED AROUND THE HOME. You could barely see two fingers in front of your eyes due to the dust that floated through the air. The floor was wet, water pipes had burst and vampires had exploded from the impact of the bomb.

Dakota could practically smell the scent of burned flesh and blood and it was nauseating. The woman was sprawled on the wooden floor, head aching from the blast. Slowly, she managed to push herself up to see her legs and dress covered in vampire guts. Blood ran down her legs and she grimaced, shaking them to get some of it off.

It was oddly quiet in the room as some still tried to get over the shock of what had happened, and as Dakota turned her head she saw Eric on the floor beside her. He looked much the same as she did, though he did have wounds of his own. He had his eyes closed and the woman crawled over to him, worried.

"Eric," she shook his shoulder.

He wasn't dead, or there would be no Eric at all. He opened his eyes, though squinting as his eyes found hers, pained expression on his face. He had shielded her from the blast, throwing himself before her when Luke had pulled the trigger. Eric was covered in shards of silver that had penetrated deep within his skin.

"Fuck," she breathed, hands hovering over him. "what can I do?"

"Nothing," he grunted, unable to move. "I can already feel them pushing themselves out. Just give it a moment."

He was right, as Dakota watched him in worry she saw how his skin healed, pushing the shards of silver toward the surface. She flicked them off the moment they reached the surface of his skin and Eric let out a relieved sigh at the feeling. He sat up, resting on his elbows as he watched her brush the last few pieces of silver off of him.

"Why on earth would you do that? You could have died."

Eric hadn't seemed to care as he cradled her head away from the blast and he shrugged his shoulders. "Pam would have my head. I think she has taken a liking toward you and she doesn't like anyone."

"You're a fucking idiot." He grinned, liking it when she swore. "I gotta find Jason." she urged, getting to her feet and calling out for her cousin.

Dakota had no idea where Jason was, he had disappeared after he'd spoke to Godric and she hadn't seen him since. God, she really hoped he wasn't anywhere near the blast and panic bubbled within her chest as she looked around the room frantically, calling out his name.

"Kota?"

Jason's head popped out from behind a hole in the wall, eyes wide. He didn't seem to be in pain, just covered in dust, not a speck of blood on him and she sighed in relief as she rushed over to wrap her arms around his neck.