Chapter Eighteen

Sage was in a little cafe overlooking Vienna. And it really was beautiful. Sage hadn't been to Italy in a few years and she wondered why she had waited so long to come back. It was one of the most beautiful places in the world. She sighed happily and leaned back, allowing the sun to warm her face.

"Per voi, bello." (For you, beautiful.) Gabriel returned to where she sat, holding out what looked like a cappuccino.

She took it from him and smiled. "Grazie." (Thank you.)

Gabriel grinned, sitting back in the wicker chair next to her. "Tu parli italiano." (You speak Italian.)

Sage gave him a sideways glance, sipping from her coffee. "Parlo sette lingue," she explained. "Italiano e il mio preferito. E'anche il mio posto preferito per essere." (I speak seven languages. Italian is my favorite. It is also my favorite place to be.)

Gabriel chuckled. "Si, recordo. Percho pensi che ti hoportato qui di tutti i luoghi?" (Yes, I remember. Why do you think I took you here of all places?)

Sage blinked at him, confused. "Recordo? Cosa intendi?" (Remember? What do you mean?)

Gabriel plucked a grape from the plate on the table in front of him and popped it in his mouth. "Te l'ho detto: ci siamo incontrati prima." (I told you: we've met before.) He leaned over his chair now, his lips dangerously close to her ear as he whispered, "Tu sei mia e non la lascero mai andare." (You're mine and I'm never letting you go.)

* * * * * * * * * *
Zoe chewed the inside of her cheek nervously. Dean was staring at her intently from across the table and an unspoken question hung in the air between them. She knew that she owed him an explanation but she didn't really know where to start.

"Look, I--" They both started at the same time.

Zoe grinned and Dean waved a hand at her to talk first. "Sorry. I just...I want to apologize for, ya know, what happened." Dean raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything so Zoe continued. "I should have told you sooner that I was a shifter and I apologize for not telling you. I was just...well, I knew you were a hunter and I didn't want you to think any differently of me because all my life, when people find out about what I am, they leave or judge me and...I really didn't want that to happen with you."

Dean help up his hands, making Zoe fall silent. "There is no reason for you to apologize, Zoe," he told her, his voice gentle. "I'm the one that should be apologizing. I shouldn't have given you a hard time. You met Benny so you know that I've been friends with monsters before; I honestly don't know why I cared so much. But how did you get into Crowley's form anyway?"

He didn't ask in a way that made Zoe think he was angry or scared, but just curious.

"He said something about his mom being a witch," Zoe explained. "He had me pinned to a wall and then...well, next thing I knew I wasn't in control anymore." She looked up at Dean. "It wasn't your fault, you know."

He shook his head. "I stabbed you, Zoe, don't pretend you don't blame me."

Tears stung Zoe's eyes. "I don't. I don't blame you Dean." She shook her head before reaching across the table to grip Dean's hand. "I don't blame you because it wasn't your fault."

Dean shook his head but stayed silent. Zoe thought he was going to pull his hands away, but he didn't and Zoe was glad for that.

* * * * * * * * * *

Lauren tugged the blankets over her legs and crossed her arms over her chest, huffing in frustration.

"I'm sorry," Sam started, sinking into the bed next to her. "I should have told you about Zoe."

"So why didn't you?" Lauren demanded angrily. "You didn't think I could handle it?"

Sam shook his head. "Not at all. There are a couple reasons I didn't tell you actually."

Lauren cocked her head, her eyebrow raising in curiosity. "And what would those be?"

Sam chuckled, pulling a knee up on the bed and turning to face her. "First, and probably the most cliche, is that I couldn't find the right time."

Lauren glared at him.

"Hey, I told you it was cliche," he said, raising his hands defensively. "But I'm serious. I was so stressed about you getting better--getting rid of your fever and headache--that I didn't want to stress you out anymore. We just rescued you from your sadistic, demonic father and you were flooded with memories that he'd stolen from you. I didn't want to worry you any more."

Lauren harrumphed. "I told you I was fine."

"I know but, what can I say? I'm a worrier."

"You said there was more than one reason," Lauren pushed.

Sam smiled ruefully. "I just wanted to protect you and I knew that Dean was going to bring her back. What was the point of causing you pain if it could be avoided?"

Lauren thought about this for a second. She wasn't really upset at him. She had no reason to be. She was mostly mad that she didn't know. She was mad that she'd been part of the reason her friend had died despite her best efforts to keep those close to her safe.

Lauren sighed and pulled her knees to her chest, laying her chin down on top of them. "I'm sorry, Sam. I'm not mad at you. You don't need to apologize to me because it's not your fault. I understand why you kept it from me."

Sam scooted Lauren over and made himself comfortable next to her. "Don't worry about it; I understand your frustration. But Zoe's back and you need some sleep. Your fever's rising again." He pressed his hand to her forehead and frowned. "I wonder why that is. I'll go get an angel."

Lauren grabbed his wrist as he tried to get out of bed. "Just stay? I'm tired and I don't want angels to come poke around me tonight."

Sam grinned and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into him. "Okay."