more like shit-auri

🕸

🕸

Peter and I attempt many things. We try prying the casing open with a screwdriver, drilling with a drill, compressing with a clamp. Finally, when Peter beats it with a hammer, it partially opens, revealing the alien orb inside that's emitting the purple glow.

Peter lets out a small, "oh," as he tries to pull the purple interior orb from its metal outer casing.

"Can I see that?" I ask. Peter hands me the partially open hunk of metal. My fingertips grace over the cracked casing. Below, I can feel the power radiating from the core inside. "Can you feel it?" I whisper to him. "The energy. The power. This is definitely what was powering the weapon."

Peter moves his fingers to the crack. "I don't feel anything."

"By the way, thanks for bailing on me," Ned says out of the blue from the table beside us. We're all supposed to be in shop class right now, but Peter and I couldn't wait to pop the thing open. "Both of you," he adds.

"Yeah, well, something came up," Peter says, not paying much attention to his friend.

"Yeah, um, sorry. I started having, like, really bad cramps... you know..." I say. "I hated leaving early."

Ned's ears redden. "Oh, uh." He looks around, embarrassed. His eyes land on the hunk of metal Peter is pulling at. "Oh, what is that?"

Peter struggles with pulling the thing apart. "I don't know. Some guy tried to vaporize me and Emerald with it."

"Seriously?" He asks in total amazement.

"Dude, for real?" I say, trying to keep up the fact that Ned doesn't know I know Peter's Spider-Man, and he also doesn't know I'm Emerald.

"Yeah, I was on my way home from the party when it happened. Then Emerald flew in and uh... saved me."

I know that story isn't true. Ned knows that story isn't true. But Ned doesn't know that I know that story isn't true. Besides, the story is kind of partially true. I did save him last night from drowning.

"Awesome." Peter looks up at Ned with a confused face and Ned starts backtracking. "I mean, not awesome. Totally uncool of that guy. So scary."

"Well, look, we think it's a power source."

"Know," I correct. "We know it's a power source. It has to be. It's the centric of all the wire connections and has a strong energy buzz."

Ned leans in closer. "Oh, yeah... you're right. It's connected to all these microprocessors. That's an inductive charging plate. That's what I use to charge my toothbrush."

"Whoever's making these weapons is obviously combining alien tech with ours," Peter says.

"That is literally the coolest sentence anyone has ever said."