elevator ride of nightmares

🕸

🕸

We hitch a ride on the trailer of a trailer truck driving back into D.C..

"Karen, you have to get us to Decathlon as fast as possible," Peter says, his voice barely audible over the loud wind. He then tries calling Ned again, only for it to go to voicemail. "Ned, call me back! The glowy thing is a bomb!"

We occasionally hop from vehicle to vehicle, going down the freeway, sometimes having to duck down to avoid beeing seen by people in cars.

A little girl looks up at us with wide eyes from her place in a car in the lane beside us. I hold my finger over my mask, then follow Spider-Man, jumping onto a different SUV.

He tries calling Ned again, this time him answering. "Oh, Ned, you're alive!"

"Put him on speaker!" I shout, levitating onto the Toyota with Spider-Man.

"Peter, are you okay? Are you Spider-Maning? Wait, who was that? Did they hear me call you Peter?"

"Ned, Ned, where's the glowy thing, the glowy thing?" Spider-Man asks frantically.

"Don't worry, it's safe. It's in my backpack. But who's with you?"

"No, Ned, listen! No, no, Ned, the glowy thing is dangerous."

"You missed the Decathlon. I covered for you and y/n both. Is that who's with you?"

"Ned, listen to me!"

"We're at the Washington Monument now. You gotta—"

"Peter, is that you?" Liz's voice comes through the speaker.

Shit, I mouth.

"Oh, hey, Liz," Spider-Man says, jumping onto a bus. "Please put Ned back on the phone."

"You freak!" She she says angrily. "You are so lucky we won. You know, I want to be mad, but I'm more worried. Like, what is going on with you? And where the hell is y/n? I've tried calling her 3 times now and I'm worried."

Spider-Man glances back at me desperately and I shake my head no. "Liz, I have to talk to Ned. It's really important!"

"Miss, all items on the belt, please," a man in the background says.

"Liz, there's something in Ned's backpack! It's really dangerous. Don't let it go through an X-ray." The line is silent but the call is still connected. "Liz? Liz! Damn it." He hangs up frustratedly.

The white pointy top of the Washington Monument comes into view. That's where we've got to go now.

"Follow me. I know a shortcut." I hold out my hand and he takes it.