i swear to god, that kid won't live to graduation

🕸

🕸

I follow a swinging Spider-Man through Washington D.C., his suit hot on the trail of the tracker. He lands on the roof of an 18 wheeler, and I drop down beside him. The truck is en route to the bad guys' lair, or at least going in that general direction.

"Suit lady says we're a hundred meters to target!" He shouts over the wind.

"Jump now?" I ask.

"Jump now?" He asks his AI. "Jump now!"

Spider-Man and I leap off the speeding truck. He rolls down the grassy hill, while I land on my feet thanks to my shock absorption boots. The hill is severely grown up, the grass almost reaching my thighs as we run through it. Ahead of us is an abandoned gas station.

"Wednesday, you see anyone?"

"Three people detected."

"Why is their secret lair in a gas station?" Spider-Man asks. "That's so lame."

"Maybe it's just their rendezvous point?" I suggest.

Spider-Man climbs onto the gas station price sign and I levitate myself up. "Wednesday, give me pit vipers and cat ears." The lenses in my goggles highlight the heat signatures in reds and oranges, and the men's conversation becomes audible.

"I got the gauntlet from the Lagos cleanup. The rest is all my design," says one man.

"Can't believe they're still cleaning up that Triskelion mess," another says.

"I love it. They keep making messes, we keep getting rich."

"Target inbound."

"Whoa, they're in the middle of a heist!" Peter says. "We could catch them all red-handed. This is awesome." I shush him, but he doesn't listen. "Okay, I'm gonna get a little closer so I can see what's happening."

"Spider-Man, wait," I say.

"Uh, Enhanced Combat Mode?" He asks his suit. "Yeah."

"Peter, NO!" I whisper shout.

"Activating Instant Kill," his suit says. Spider-Man's giant white eyes turn into tiny red slits.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no. I don't want to kill anybody!" He waves his hands around frantically.

"Deactivating Instant Kill." His suit goes back to normal.

"What did you do to your suit?" I ask through gritted teeth. "You shouldn't have access to that."

"Just... some upgrades." He jumps off the sign in a very un-graceful manner, landing flat on his face on the concrete below.