so... you got detention

🕸

🕸

Detention

Time passes differently when you're in detention. It drags on and on, and you start hating the construct of time. Minutes feel like hours, hours feel like days. It's hard for me to sit still for so long, being so unproductive.

In front of us is an old TV, playing one of those cringy videos of Captain America again. He sits down in a backwards chair. "So... you got detention. You screwed up. You know what you did was wrong. The question is, how are you gonna make things right? Maybe you were trying to be cool. But take it from a guy who's been frozen for 65 years, the only way to really be cool is to follow the rules."

I roll my eyes. If he had followed the rules, the Avengers would be a branch of the government right now. He sure didn't mind going against it when it came to freedom.

"I shouldn't even be here," I whisper to MJ, who sits next to me.

She has one foot on her desk, her leg supporting her notebook while she draws. She's working on a caricature sketch of Coach Wilson, who's watching over detention.

"I have a decent-ish attendance record," I continue quietly, "I've skipped a few times, but only if I absolutely had to. My grades are all pretty okay."

"Uh-huh," she hums absentmindedly, lost in her art.

"Besides, I had a good reason for not being at the Decathlon."

She glances up from her drawing momentarily. "You mean being stranded at the store after missing the last bus?"

"Yeah, exactly."

Her eyes hold mine, then she looks back down, continuing her art. "You were stuck there all night?"

"Yes."

She looks up again. "Because you left our room with Peter the night before and you guys never came back."

Her face is hard to read. A lot of times she keeps up this tough girl, doesn't care image. She doesn't like flaunting her emotions. Right now is one of those times where I can't tell what she's really getting at. All I know for certain is that she's suspicious of me.

Peter stands from his desk abruptly, causing it to slide back across the tiled floors with a screech. He grabs his backpack and heads for the exit.

"We all know what's right. We all know what's wrong. Next time those turkeys try to convince you of something you know is wrong..." Captain America continues.

"Hey, where you going?" Coach Wilson asks lazily, leaned back in his seat reading a magazine. "Get back here." He puts forth no effort in stopping Peter.

"Just think to yourself, what would Captain America do?"

"Captain America would stop at nothing until the bad guys are stopped," I whisper to myself, then grab my bag and rush out after Peter. "See you MJ!"