10

Knocking woke me up

Knocking woke me up. Loud knocking.

I roll over onto my back, and after a few seconds, get off the bed. With my eyes closed, I slip my feet into my slippers and walk over to the door.

A very drunk Alexandre is standing in front of me.

If you can even call that standing. He's barely holding himself up on his feet, having his weight supported by the wall and rocking back and forth like he'll crumble any minute.

"Shit, wrong door," he says, then closes his eyes, trying to gain his balance, as he almost tripped over his own feet on level ground.

"You okay?" My voice comes out raspier than I thought, so I clear my throat.

He scoffs and stumbles across the hall towards his room.

Why did I even ask?

I close the door and walk back to my bed.

Five minutes later the loud knocking returns, resonating through the room.

I try to ignore it, thinking he'll think I'm asleep and will stop. But no.

"What do you want?" I huff angrily, my sleepy voice gone, an annoyed expression gracing my features.

"Why are you always so moody and fucking loud?" He massages his temples as if I cause him a headache.

"You woke me up in the middle of the night. Do you expect me to be delighted to see you?" I say, annoyed that instead of getting sleep, I'm standing in the doorway talking to the douche.

I let out an annoyed sigh and go to close the door, but don't succeed. He puts his foot between the frame and the door preventing me from closing it.

"I lost my key," he says as if it means anything.

"So? Go ask for a new one," I want to close the door, but once again he prevents it.

"I can't go down to the register. People will see me," some of his words are slurred, but I manage to make out what he's saying.

Without any other words, he steps into my room and walks over to the bed, falling onto it with a bounce. A few seconds later, he is knocked out cold.

Fucking great.

First, he disturbs my sleep and now he has occupied my bed.

I gather my two pillows, one small and one big, and lay down on the couch. I pull a light blanket over my body and try to go back to sleep.

• • •

I sigh and turn onto my left side.

It's maybe been an hour since Alexandre disturbed my sleep and took up my bed.

I tried to sleep on the couch, but can't seem to do so.

My back hurts from this couch. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, it's just too small for me to allow myself to fall asleep.