5 - They Care?

TRIGGER WARNING - slurs, sa

(Y/n POV)

I arrived at class and sat in my assigned seat. I watched as kid after kid walked in. They all seemed to go either to their seat or to talk to their friends before class. I looked down at my lightly bruised fist and thought about how things in the past have always happened. I continued thinking until I heard the screech of a chair right next to me. I kept looking down until I heard the person tapping on my desk trying to get my attention. I couldn't bring myself to look at them, so I looked out of the corner of my eye toward their desk. 'Robin". Oh god, not one of Steve's friends.

"I know it's you Y/n I've seen you in pictures at Steve Harrington's house." I rolled my eyes and dramatically looked at her. She smiled and I just sighed.

"Yes, well you probably would since he is my brother."

"Obviously dingus," I raised my eyebrows at her, yet she continued to talk, "I'm so happy I finally got to meet you." No one needs to meet me is all I can think about. "Steve is always talking about you. Saying how he envies you and wishes he was more like you-" I felt myself scoff as she looked at me confused.

"One, my brother doesn't envy me. He has everything, our parents love, all the girls he can get, the looks only one can dream they could have, he has real friends... I have nothing compared to him. He got a car from my parents the summer before his junior year, I would ask for a ride and my parents would yell at me saying I could do it on my own. Through the wind, rain, or snow I had to walk my happy ass to school and back home... I still have to do it all the time. They won't even get me my own fucking bike to make things easier." She looked hurt but I felt like I needed to get this topic through her head. "In the year you have been friends with Steve, you have never met me for a reason... I'm not part of my family."

"But he says-"

"He says things to make people feel bad for him, feeling as though he's the victim... as though he's the outcast in the family. Simple as that." We sat in silence for a few minutes after our conversation ended so we could listen to the teacher.

"Well Y/n for being a junior and in AP Calculus I have to say you are defiantly smarter than him." I laughed and nodded. He never was an actual book-smart guy, he went based on things his ex-girlfriend Nancy would "teach" him. I honestly don't think he took a single AP or Honors course."

"Yeah, I guess... I'm mostly only in AP or Honors courses. Not something I'd like to announce to the whole world but you know." I smiled at her. She smiled back and rested her head on her hands.

"Honestly, the only reason I'm in this class is because I like math and it was the only one, I haven't taken. But it seems as though I made a good choice." Her comment just made me smile more as I felt a light red hit my face. I'm not used to being complimented and I truly don't know if I would truly get used to it.

The class seemed to pass by in a breeze. Robin and I were playing tic-tac-toe on a piece of paper while Mrs. Larsen, our teacher, talked about different expectations and assignments we would be having in her classroom. We were in the final 10 minutes of class when the door opened, and I immediately started packing up my bag. Robin looked confused at me as I quickly grabbed my pencil and put an X in one of the squares causing me to win. She crumpled up the paper and threw it at me so I threw it in my bag so I wouldn't have to worry about throwing it away.

"Hello, Mrs. Larson, may I talk with Mr.-... May I speak with Y/n please." I heard the whispering of students in the room as Mrs. Larson nodded to me allowing me to walk out of the room with Ms. Kelley. I walked out into the hallway listening to Ms. Kelley talk about different things. Things from the school to different things happening in Hawkings. Eventually, we arrived at her office and she opened the door for me to walk through. I walked directly over to the chair with the imaginary label "Student Chair" scrawled across it. She sat across from me and started fiddling with some things on the small table next to her chair before she found what she was looking for.