4. Finally Free

Maximus in the picture!

-------------------------------------

Abigail's P.O.V:

"What do they mean...them?" Maximus asked.

"I don't know," Preston said, "before we ran off, he said he wanted them."

"Could they mean the both of you?" Aspen asked.

"I'm not leaving you." I hugged Maximus as he gave me a warm hug.

"I won't either. Maybe he meant someone else?" Maximus suggested.

"Yea," I said as we released, "maybe."

"Attention all children!" Mrs.Rochester's voice boomed through the speakers, "the people have chosen one of you lucky kids."

We all looked at each other as Aspen smiled at me.

"Everyone, once again, come to the Main Hall to see the lucky parents!" Mrs.Rochester finished as everyone started talking about who it would be.

"See," Spencer said, "its only one kid."

"Ya," I said in relief.

We all waited a while before heading back to the hall with everyone else.

"I bet it's me." Amber said with a snicker.

"Uh. Not even in your dreams!" I sassed as Amber. She looked at me in shock as I pushed past her.

We all stood in our formation as the 26 of us walked towards the front, the ones who talked to the "mirror".

Who will leave?

"Okay, everyone did GREAT today!" Mrs.Rochester said in a perky voice, "the secret is out. There are four men who want a child. Well actually, six of you."

The room erupted with whispers until Ms.Haggs shushed us all.

"Six?" Zachariah said in astonishment.

"Okay, we shall announce the six children. Don't forget, we still love the ones who didn't get picked." Ms.Haggs said.

My heart bested out of my chest. I felt like I was going to faint. I hope it's me, but I hope it's not JUST me. I want to stay with my only family.

"If I could have Abigail Ackerman come to the front?" Mrs.Rochester said with a smile.

Everyone applauded as I went towards the front. I shouted in my mind. I'm finally excepted in this world.

"Also, Mr. Maximus Ackerman?"

Maximus high-fived Spencer as he ran up to the front as he grabbed me and spun me around. I giggled as he let me down.

Ms.Haggs talked next, "Aspen Carpenter and Spencer Fitzgerald?"

Spencer grabbed Aspen's hand as they walked to the front. I gave Aspen a hug as we stood in a line.

Suddenly, Preston started walking towards the front with Zachariah. The room was filled with laughter as Preston danced towards the front.

"What?" Preston questioned Mrs.Rochester, "I could tell who are the next two."

Mrs.Rochester smirked, "well, you are right."

We all had a group hug as everyone awed.

"Okay, now meet your family." Ms.Haggs opened a door that was connected to the glass mirror.

The four men I saw earlier walked towards us as Maximus out his arm around me. He seemed scared of them.

One man had a fedora and glasses. He looked at us shyly, "hey."