Chapter 30: Operation Clockwork Pt.2

A few minutes ago

"This is Fern 1, checking in."

"Copy Fern 1, we read you loud and clear. Just to clarify, for mission log purposes, can you restate your location and basis of investigation?"

"This is Fern 1, and I am at 22nd street, at the Blue Talon warehouse. I'm investigating it with my partner, Fern 2 based on being the location for the production, assembly or storage of modular tactical vehicles or firearms."

"Solid Copy Fern 1, good luck and Merry Christmas."

Steele switched off his Scroll. He knew that if his shirt pocket started beeping and emitting static, they'd be compromised in an instant. He looked at Yang and saw that she was tying up her hair and putting on a baseball cap.

Yang looked at him for a few seconds. "Hey, do you have a moment to talk?"

"Yeah."

Unsure how to best broach the subject, Yang decided to be direct. She was good at it, and from what she knew, Steele was too.

"I couldn't sleep after last night's discussion, so I was up studying your files a bit more. I know what happened to your team. More importantly, I know what happened to your sister."

She could've sworn she saw him tense up and slow down for a split second, but he continued walking as if he didn't hear her at all. After a moment of silence, he said:

"I hope you're going somewhere useful with this. It isn't something I want to discuss now."

"I get that. I'm not here to sit down and force you to open up. Hell, I don't know why I'm even bringing this up. It's just as an older sibling, I sorta understand where you're--."

"No." Steele cut her off, his voice hardening. "I doubt you do. What I--" he checked himself and exhaled, calming himself down. "It's not exactly a common experience.

"It isn't, and I'm not dismissing you," Yang raised her hands as a sign of peace. "Back when we were younger and experimenting with our semblances in a sparring match, I ended up punching a tree in half. Its canopy branches hit Ruby on the head. She was unconscious for two hours. Dad, Uncle Qrow, and even Ruby after she woke up understood it was an accident. None of them blamed me. But those two hours felt more like two weeks. Two weeks of guilt and cursing myself. That's how scared I was."

Steele glanced at her. He'd seen the expression she was wearing now too many times in the mirror. He knew she was telling the truth.

"So if I went through all of that over something that only lasted two hours, then I can't begin to imagine what must be happening to you."

After a few seconds of silence, Steele sighed. He opened his mouth to speak, then swallowed and said:

"She'll be okay. She will. I know it. But she'll never forgive me if I don't help sort this out."

"I understand. You have your friends with you, your team. But if you want to talk to me about it, one elder sibling to another, then I'll be there to listen."

"I appreciate the offer. Let's get back to the mission for now."

Yang simply nodded and started walking.

He had noticed faint notes of it before, but now it was clear. Yang reminded him of Sigbjorn. That calm demeanour, the soothing words and the offer to talk without pushing the topic.

As they approached the warehouse, Steele remarked, "It's likely going to be locked shut. Even if it's been infiltrated, I doubt the occupants were kind enough to leave us an open door."