Chapter 20: Nightmares

Infirmary, Beacon Academy, 17:46:33 hours

Sigbjorn awkwardly walked up the stairs. His muscles were still recovering, and he wished he hadn't chosen to walk all this way to Weiss' bed. The pain in his chest wasn't any better. But he wanted to do this because he wanted to talk to Weiss about the whole incident. He wanted to make sure that she was okay.

He walked up the hospital wing where she was still recovering, that last attack had hurt her pretty badly. He held a bunch of white roses in his hands. He strolled up to her bed, looking at her sleeping face.

He couldn't muster the courage to talk to her. What would he even say?

Hey Weiss, it's sort of my fault that Silver was there and that this thing even happened in the first place... and that you got hurt... here's a bunch of flowers to make you feel better!

Not really.

It was like his heart went into overdrive, beating fast. Along with this uncontrollable urge to go and hug her. He didn't know why. He had never felt like this before. But there was something about her. Some side of her she seemed to be hiding. He chalked it up to nerves and approached closer. He told himself he'd cut out his feelings later.

Weiss was awake but trying her level best to fall asleep. She shut her eyes and tried, but sleep just wouldn't come. Too many thoughts swirling in her head. Especially what the White Fang said while preparing to attack her near the end. Was her family's reputation really going to stick with her for the rest of her life? Was her name all that people saw in her?

"North Pole to Snowflake, I repeat: North Pole to Snowflake, come in Snowflake!"

She turned around to see Sigbjorn standing up there with a smile. He was holding something in his hand, she couldn't see what but she assumed it was a card.

He politely sat down and gently asked, "How are you feeling?"

She curled up in her covers and said, "Fine".

"Are you sure? That last hit from Roman looked real bad."

Pity I let him get away, he thought to himself.

Weiss nodded in response, "I'm alright."

Sigbjorn smiled, "That's good to hear then."

"Why are you here?"

He looked confused. His eyebrows scrunched up. For the first time in Weiss' conscious mind, he looked cute.

"Stop it, Weiss!" 

She realised too late that she had spoken out loud.

He laughed. "I hope you didn't get hit too hard, seeing as you're talking to yourself."

"Dunce."

"Look, as I much as I love spending time with you, I came here to check on you."

She seemed surprised, "Why?"

"Isn't it obvious? 2 main reasons. One is that Lightning Dust may still be in your system. I'm talking to you to make sure you don't feel any symptoms."

He witnessed her face wilt quicker than a balloon puncturing to a nail. "Oh. That's it then. I told you, I feel fine," she said with a downcast face.

"And the second reason is that I care about you."

Her heart stopped. Literally. The lightning Dust had jump-started her heart. He noticed and immediately put his hand on her chest. The sensation of his warm hand against her cool skin sent tingles of electricity across her body. She shivered. He attributed it to the unwarranted contact.