Chapter 29: Operation Clockwork Pt.1

Oxwall Town, Northern Vale

04:30:34 hours

The sun had just begun its first waking yawn, painting the sky to the east in soft hues of dark blue and flecks of orange closer to the horizon, while the western sky still remained dark. As it did so, Silver made his way down the side streets and alleys of the mostly sleeping settlement. He was careful to avoid getting caught in one of the few cameras in the region: he knew Sigbjorn was watching.

It was far too early for there to be any pedestrians about. Even any road vehicles, for a moderately out-of-place location like this. Oxwall Town wasn't known for much save its largely Faunus population. In its early history, that meant this town used to be a prime 'public recruitment centre' for the Schnee Dust Company's 'indentured raw materials farmers'. But after public backlash and (perhaps more concretely and notably) Grimm attacks due to slavery's oppressive nature grew, that practice stopped: too expensive and reputation-damaging. However, the Faunus populace still remembered and understandably held a grudge towards them.

Silver knew the town's history and could see it in the details of the landscape. The graffiti, the way people talked, the food they ate... even the architecture. It had helped him incite the crowd when he had attempted to break out the Lieutenant. And it was helping him even before.

The grudges held by the local population weakened the SDC's monopoly in the region and resulted in several well-supported local businesses, which the rest of Vale, let alone the rest of Remnant, did not really care for due to the SDC's strong influence there. This town had perfect conditions to set up the logistical infrastructure that he needed for his plan. Funding, transport, assembly: he could take care of it all right here, and all would be business as usual.

Well, at least until last night.

Following the attack on safehouse Psi, Jade's team had tracked down the Lieutenant's location to Oxwall town, following traces of the toxin coated in the knife Silver had stuck the Lieutenant with. Unfortunately, it seemed the Lieutenant treated himself within the town somehow and the trail ended. But Jade's semblance told them it was less than thirty minutes old. Silver used his White Fang contacts to start a procession in the town, leading to most civilians staying locked up in their homes.

He didn't want any witnesses... and he wanted to minimize civilian casualties where he could. Partly because the civilian involvement at the safehouse still weighed on his conscience, partly because the rest of FRST would want it.

So now that there were no civilians, it was safe to deploy the Grizzly prototypes.

The Grizzlies were vehicles about the size of a large SUV that could carry heavy loads and make next to no noise while doing it. Ideal for subtle reconnaissance and transport.

And they delivered. They found the Lieutenant in the dead of night. As soon as they did, Silver called for them to return. But shortly after the Grizzly that was carrying the Lieutenant had reached, he received reports that two Grizzlies had engaged a boy and a girl who were following them on a motorcycle. And that one of them was taken down. The attackers had then disappeared without a trace as to where they left or came from.

At last. They were here. Silver was expecting SRDS to show up, but RWBY? Not even his Semblance saw that coming. He realized he would've been outmatched again due to the element of surprise if they fought. But he knew now. And that meant he could factor them in.

It was a shame, though, that SRDS had dragged in an outsider team that had nothing to do with this. They were going to get hurt for nothing.

He remembered that they had worked together in Emerald Forest, too. They'd likely known each other since SRDS arrived at Beacon. And if RWBY was here, SRDS had probably told them everything. That meant they were close.