7 - Zeenaru

When Sharrif saw Laminde in school, he asked after Idris. He took a liking to him and maybe so did I. Idris' quirkiness in my presence was flattering.

"Sharrif seems to have warmed up to Idris." Laminde said it with double meaning, for sure. I felt uncomfortable and she could clearly see so.
"Is there something you want to tell me?" she asked.

I hated confrontation. I avoided conflict at all cost. I could feel my eye widen with guilt. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. I never did well under pressure and the guilt did not help.

"Are you interested in anyone?" she asked. "Pretty lady like you must have caught someone's eye."
"I'm entirely invested in my children. I don't have time for..."
"Do you have anyone in mind?" she asked again.

I kept quiet because I knew I would stutter if I spoke.
"Or is Idris the only one in the picture?"
"I tried to tell you," I blurted. "There was never a right time."
"Time is overrated." Laminde took my hand in hers and said, "I am glad it's you."

Flabbergasted, I had no words. Yes, Idris was a charming man, and she was no doubt a lucky woman, but I would never intrude in a marriage.
"I am not in any relationship with your husband," I managed to clarify. "I am not interested."
However, what she told me next, crushed me.