Chapter 27

Hi guys, I hope you enjoy the update. The section in italics is a dream. Just to clarify.
***
An early morning breeze whistles through the canals, blowing my hair into my face. A hand comes up and tucks it behind my ears. I look up into those beautiful blue eyes and smile my thanks.

"You're welcome," Sam says, stroking my cheek tenderly.

I lean into his hand and close my eyes. I love this man so much.

"It's nice being back here," I say, looking around at my surrounds. Early morning in Venice is always beautiful. I remember the last time we did this...after we made up all those years ago. It was perfect and now we're finally reliving it.

"Come here," Sam says with a smile, gesturing for me to sit with him.

I smile and cautiously move, careful not to rock the gondola too much. I settle in front of Sam, resting against his chest. His arms wrap around me and I rest my arms on top of his.

"This is more like it," he whispers, kissing the top of my head. "Nothing like reliving the moment, right?"

I look up and smile at my husband. "You're right. It's perfect."

Closing my eyes, I listen to the water splashing up against the gondola and the occasional chirp of a bird. After a few moments of silence, the gondolier behind us starts singing. His voice is strong and operatic. It echoes through the canals and slowly, Venice comes alive. It's just like I remember.

"Emily," Sam says after a few moments of blissful silence, "we need to talk."

Reluctantly I open my eyes and look up at him. His eyes are full of seriousness and I know what's coming. I've been trying to avoid this for so long but it appears I can't anymore.

"Do we have to do it now?" I ask, looking at him pleadingly. "I just want to enjoy this moment with you. Please?"

He looks at me, his eyes full of question but after a few moments he smiles and nods. I give him a weak smile back and settle back down. Moments ago this was perfect but now it's ruined. Sighing in frustration I sit up and shuffle around so I'm facing Sam. He looks miserable and I realise this is a conversation that must be had.

"Fine, you're right," I say reluctantly. "I can't enjoy it now anyway."

He gives me a small apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Em. It's just..." he trails off and looks away. Even though he's not looking at me, I can see the tears in his eyes. "It kills me to know we're in such a romantic place just to say goodbye."

My chest tightens at his words and suddenly tears are streaming down my cheeks. I don't want to say goodbye. This was never supposed to happen in the first place so I'm not ready. How am I supposed to do this? How?

"I can't do it," I whisper as I wipe my tears away. "I can't lose you again, Sam. It's so hard not having you around at least this way-dreaming about you-I get to see you."

Suddenly I feel his arms around me and I lean in, resting my head on his chest. His embrace warms me up from the chilly Venice morning and I know being in Sam's arms is where I want to be forever. He's the only one who makes me feel safe, secure and loved. How can I part with it?

"This isn't healthy, Emily," he says softly, resting his chin on top of my head. "You can't keep pining after me forever. It's time for you to move on."

I shake my head and pull away, looking up at him through tear filled eyes. "I can't move on, Sam. Why can't you understand that? Without you my life is meaningless."